OK, time to think about 331...

I was going to slap on an S-Trim, make power and call it a day. But, i would rather rebuild or replace me engine for peice of mind instead (for ABOUT the same price.) Here is what im thinking:

-DSS 331 rotating assembly: $1100 (Pro X) OR $940 (Pro Series) [+$175 for balancing]
-Stock Block ($150, plus machining)
-TFS Stage 1 ($170 ish)
-*Ported GT40 Y303 alum. heads (fully ported) (how much $? $5-600?)
-*TMoss Ported Cobra intake ($300 +ship)
-Gaskets ($100-120ish for a kit)
-ARP studs etc ($2-300)
-oil pump, pickup ($80)
*I already have the intake and heads, thats the price for the porting work.

Thats a TAD under $3K. But that includes a cam, all the supporting stuff, and porting work done to my heads/intake. What kind of work would the block need? Bored .030 no? and Honing, would the bottom of the cylinders need clearancing like on a 347? About how much would this work cost?

About the DSS kit, ar the Pro X pistons worth it? or no? What type of valve releif should I go for? a couple years down the road i will be supercharging this motor, but that will only be after i swap all this stuff into a different block. For this setup, it will strictly be N/A 331 on a Stock block.

Any criticisms please post, or suggestions. thanks alot guys!

• Sponsors (?)

The cam isn't that much. If you are going to replace pistons and everything i would try the stage 2. It sounds alot cooler + aftermarket heads really dont outflow ported stockers until the higher lift numbers and i am sure your gonna want to get all you can out of the heads

Do a 331 stroker short block from CHP, all 4340, Probe pistons 10:1, balanced to 28oz, AFR 205's, Comp Cam XE282HR, Victor EFI port matched. u will get close to 400/400 @ the RW NA on pump gas. U can throw a blower on later.

My friend who has a 347 with the above has 9.75:1 and runs 15lbs of boost on pump gas and has no issues, it's all in the tune.

I had a 302 that needed refreshed and I went to a 347 stroker instead. What a pain in the ass. I s/h just done the 306 and threw a blower on it.

Do a leakdown test on ur present engine to see where ur at. S/b between 2%-10%, anymore than that u need a refresh. U may just want to do a 306 w/ a blower.

There have been 306's that hit 385rwhp NA daily drivers out here.

once i get the heads prted they will perform decently... and the intake. I think I should make decent power for a 331 with my setup. How strong are the CHP blocks? are they the stockers? I really want a new motor but i dont think i can afford totally new heads etc.

blk9450 said:
i would say go turbo, but those heads arent good for forced induction. seems steep for 29 cubic inches. im always looking for the most bang for the money. i should have been born a jew i guess...

Attacking a group of people because you couldnt think of anything smart to say is definately not cool. :nice: