OMG! Installed my crane cam, push rods are too damn short!

OrangeMustangGt

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2002
Cape Cod, MA
AHHH!! i thought i would have this engine in this weekend. Now, i got teh cam in, and everything bolted down, and i can take and move teh push rod up and down!! i def have a gap between that and the rocker, where i need about .30 of preload. What is my best way to measure this? and get longer pushrods i guess, is that teh only thing i can do? also, my new hydrqulic lifters havent come in yet, but the height shouldent matter if there the old ones. i guess this dam cam has a smaller base dia. goddam.

• Sponsors (?)

I bought an adjustable pushrod length checker made by TrickFlow through Summit Racing gor 20 bucks or so. Did you prime your lifters before checking for the proper length? I'm assuming the P heads don't have stud mount rockers. They also make shims but I'm not sure if these will make up for short pushrods.

thanks guys. I spell teh wrong because of my fingers. As for the pushrod checker, does it come with numbers on it, or do i have to measure it? And what can i use to do so. I was thinking i could take my push rod that is in the motor now, let it sit into the lifter, and take a flat edge across the valve cover gasket area and scribe a line, then lift up on it till it seats into the rocker, and scribe another line. then add the distance between the 2 lines to the length of the stock push rod, plus anotehr .030 for preload...will this work? Also, what is the stock length of teh pushrods, what can i use to measure this distance, and has anyone had these problems with the crane 2031?

I think you MISSED an important question... " did you pre-lube the lifters??" IF you put in new lifters they will be spongy untill they fill with oil.. either by you and an oil can , or the engine!! Dont do any thing untill the lifters "pump" up... cool?? If they are and you did... then get excited on push rod length... just a thought..

Just me........................

Thumper