Outnumbered By Idiots

• Sponsors (?)

1521770559832.png

I've been selling parts on the facebook groups lately and hoping that the people I will be dealing with would be better than craigslist. Reality is, they are no better. You get some good guys here and there but the majority of messages/interactions I get are just painful. Now don't get me wrong, I like to help people but I also expect you to put some effort into knowing what your buying. I usually ask below market value on my parts so I don't have to deal with bull:poo: and get a quick turn around.

1. One guy wanted to buy my SA rear, but was 3.5 hours away. Offered me $50 to deliver it and was offended when I refused. Seriously dude? I'd burn more money in fuel just to get to you, and then I have to drive back.
2. The bazillion times I get asked questions about the stuff I'm selling, and that information is clearly in the description and pictures. How can you want to buy something you've never looked at and read the description? I mean, I put it ALL in there for a reason.
3. The overall lack of knowledge about these cars, parts, and their specs. We all had to start somewhere, but these guys are 30+ and these cars have been out for a LONG time. If you're buying parts for these cars then you should probably know something about what you're buying. Or there's this thing called google, it's amazing, it can find information for you about stuff you don't know!

I had a guy come up last night to buy my SA rear, the whole way from Virginia. It was for a good price so I thought he identified that and wanted it for whatever reason. He got to my garage and asked if the rear was "posi" or not...... Mind you, the ad stated EXCATLY what it was and what it was from. The reason he wanted the SA was to replace the one in his 87 GT because he thought his SA wasn't "posi" because it would only burn off one tire. I then tried to explain how all (86+) V8 Mustangs have a trac-lok rear and how the clutch packs work. The glazed over look on his eyes told me just to stop. He left with my rear to replace his. If only he had done some research he would've found you can rebuild the trac-lok rear, and rebuild it so it bites a little better than factory.

Maybe I've just been around these cars so long I am jaded, but these are the simple things I would expect anyone to know when being involved with these cars. I wish these were the only experiences I've had so far, and I have ALOT more parts to sell......

Just had to rant. I'm better now.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been selling parts on the facebook groups lately and hoping that the people I will be dealing with would be better than craigslist. Reality is, they are no better. You get some good guys here and there but the majority of messages/interactions I get are just painful. Now don't get me wrong, I like to help people but I also expect you to put some effort into knowing what your buying. I usually ask below market value on my parts so I don't have to deal with bull:poo: and get a quick turn around.

1. One guy wanted to buy my SA rear, but was 3.5 hours away. Offered me $50 to deliver it and was offended when I refused. Seriously dude? I'd burn more money in fuel just to get to you, and then I have to drive back.
2. The bazillion times I get asked questions about the stuff I'm selling, and that information is clearly in the description and pictures. How can you want to buy something you've never looked at and read the description? I mean, I put it ALL in there for a reason.
3. The overall lack of knowledge about these cars, parts, and their specs. We all had to start somewhere, but these guys are 30+ and these cars have been out for a LONG time. If you're buying parts for these cars then you should probably know something about what you're buying. Or there's this thing called google, it's amazing, it can find information for you about stuff you don't know!

I had a guy come up last night to buy my SA rear, the whole way from Virginia. It was for a good price so I thought he identified that and wanted it for whatever reason. He got to my garage and asked if the rear was "posi" or not...... Mind you, the ad stated EXCATLY what it was and what it was from. The reason he wanted the SA was to replace the one in his 87 GT because he thought his SA wasn't "posi" because it would only burn off one tire. I then tried to explain how all (86+) V8 Mustangs have a trac-lok rear and how the clutch packs work. The glazed over look on his eyes told me just to stop. He left with my rear to replace his. If only he had done some research he would've found you can rebuild the trac-lok rear, and rebuild it so it bites a little better than factory.

Maybe I've just been around these cars so long I am jaded, but these are the simple things I would expect anyone to know when being involved with these cars. I wish these were the only experiences I've had so far, and I have ALOT more parts to sell......

The thing that drives me crazy about the Facebook groups is the lack of moderation. I’m in a big group and I watched one guy go to every post that had a ecu and make offers, some as low as $50, then had them listed elsewhere for$400 plus a core charge... this same guy responded to a want add for a gt40 tubular wanting $1200 for his and was sending pm’s to anyone offering a better price ( likely to buy it and up the price) all still in the other guys wanted post... I’m all about the hustle but this is just wrong

People are stupid these days and unfortunately trying to convince them of the error in their ways is a waste of time (see Dunning–Kruger effect). It's amazing that people, before the internet, actually fixed/built things without having all the answers given to them without trying first. Today, people just expect that somebody will just give them the answers and forgo any critical thinking.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
The thing that drives me crazy about the Facebook groups is the lack of moderation. I’m in a big group and I watched one guy go to every post that had a ecu and make offers, some as low as $50, then had them listed elsewhere for$400 plus a core charge... this same guy responded to a want add for a gt40 tubular wanting $1200 for his and was sending pm’s to anyone offering a better price ( likely to buy it and up the price) all still in the other guys wanted post... I’m all about the hustle but this is just wrong

I remember that guy. Someone called him out on it in a post and he brushed it off as no big deal.

I think I know the guy you are talking about, and I've seen the same thing happen which pisses me off. In my opinion those groups, like stangnet, is a community and you are taking advantage of the community by doing that. I actually just sold an A9L and harness on there this weekend and that guy had tried to buy it (think his name is Josh). I had 6 or 7 people message me about it after I sold it and each one was happy that Josh didn't get it. They all said he buys them for cheap and then turns around and sells them for $400+

I think I know the guy you are talking about, and I've seen the same thing happen which pisses me off. In my opinion those groups, like stangnet, is a community and you are taking advantage of the community by doing that. I actually just sold an A9L and harness on there this weekend and that guy had tried to buy it (think his name is Josh). I had 6 or 7 people message me about it after I sold it and each one was happy that Josh didn't get it. They all said he buys them for cheap and then turns around and sells them for $400+

I almost want to list a couple A9L's and see this play out myself.

Don't let it distract you from the fact that Hector is going to be running three Honda Civics with Spoon engines. And on top of that, he just went into Harry's and he ordered three T66 turbos with NOS... and a Motec system exhaust.

Reactions: 1 user
People are stupid these days and unfortunately trying to convince them of the error in their ways is a waste of time (see Dunning–Kruger effect). It's amazing that people, before the internet, actually fixed/built things without having all the answers given to them without trying first. Today, people just expect that somebody will just give them the answers and forgo any critical thinking.

I never knew there was a name for that physiological phenomenon. Now I know and am glad I have a way to quantify what I see in people. I think my co-worker that sits next to me might be a good example of illusory superiority. Or maybe I am? :p

Every watch the movie "Idiocracy"?