Fox output shaft seal

mattys91gt

Feb 3, 2022
Plymouth Massachusetts
I have a leak from the seal that the driveshaft goes into the front of the car it's a aod 91 I got a seal today and I'm not sure if it's correct here's a picture of old and new

Attachments

• 20220823_192143.jpg
    20220823_192143.jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Sponsors (?)

Is it a 5 speed or an automatic ? This is the seal I use for 5 speed and automatic cars.

Screenshot_20220823-231659_Chrome.jpg

They do make different ( universal ) ones that they say work but this national seal matches the factory design.

Reactions: 1 user
it's a aod transmission automatic and is this it I have a advance auto near me
That one will be easier to tap in. The one I posted is for 5 speed or AOD. The one you show looks better than the first one. I like the extra dirt boot length.

7692s is the part number for the National one.

I have all types of stuff to fit these seals. A piece of PVC pipe or straight cut metal pipe. I use adapters from my balljoint install kit.

I smear some rtv around the back metal part of the seal that seats in the back of the transmission. You can lightly tap one in with a small hammer keeping pressure on the opposite side with your hand. Just tap around evenly side to side.

Make sure to put some fresh transmission fluid on the end of the driveshaft when you put it back together.

Last edited:
7692s is the part number for the National one.

I have all types of stuff to fit these seals. A piece of PVC pipe or straight cut metal pipe. I use adapters from my balljoint install kit.

I smear some rtv around the back metal part of the seal that seats in the back of the transmission. You can lightly tap one in with a small hammer keeping pressure on the opposite side with your hand. Just tap around evenly side to side.

Make sure to put some fresh transmission fluid on the end of the driveshaft when you put it back together.
now should the shaft have a little bit of a wiggle or do I have more issues inside? I need to take the inspection plate off and look around and I tried a piece of pipe from my exhaust kit but did we figure out if that's the wrong seal I have

There's a bushing inside that the yoke rides in. If that bushing is worn it'll cause the seal to leak. The only real way to check that is to slide the driveshaft yoke in and test for play. A little is ok but hard to mesure without a dial inicator. I've had nothing but bad luck with the shorter seals. That's why I use the ones I posted.

There's a bushing inside that the yoke rides in. If that bushing is worn it'll cause the seal to leak. The only real way to check that is to slide the driveshaft yoke in and test for play. A little is ok but hard to mesure without a dial inicator. I've had nothing but bad luck with the shorter seals. That's why I use the ones I posted.
I guess it's the oil pump seal the guy called it at the store I'll bring my old one and match it up and see

If you have oil dripping from the inside of the bell housing you have to pull the trans to replace the torque converter seal.
you need to proof read your posts, others on this thread are posting about replacing the drive shaft seal which is at the back where the drive shaft yoke enters the trans.
If you are taking it to a shop to get the leak fixed let them get the seal, they can pull the seal and match the part numbers if there is any questions.
When I hung out at my friends shop and had customers bring their own parts most times it was wrong and they wanted us to wait for them to get the right parts so we (alot of times) had a repair bay tied up for hours, sometimes days, waiting for them to come back. It was annoying and costly.

If you have oil dripping from the inside of the bell housing you have to pull the trans to replace the torque converter seal.
you need to proof read your posts, others on this thread are posting about replacing the drive shaft seal which is at the back where the drive shaft yoke enters the trans.
If you are taking it to a shop to get the leak fixed let them get the seal, they can pull the seal and match the part numbers if there is any questions.
When I hung out at my friends shop and had customers bring their own parts most times it was wrong and they wanted us to wait for them to get the right parts so we (alot of times) had a repair bay tied up for hours, sometimes days, waiting for them to come back. It was annoying and costly.
that's my fault I didn't know what the part was called what I'm seeing is above the transmission it's flinging fluid right where that seal is I'm stopping by the tranny shop now to see what he says and can I post videos on here or only pictures

Reactions: 1 user
that's my fault I didn't know what the part was called what I'm seeing is above the transmission it's flinging fluid right where that seal is I'm stopping by the tranny shop now to see what he says and can I post videos on here or only pictures
yes I do have oil dripping at the inspection plate
The driveshaft connects the transmission and the rear differential. Oops.
it's my first mustang I wanted one my whole life and all my time working in autobdy shops and automotive shops I never learned how to work on older cars I try not to ask on here because I sound stupid not knowing what part is what I always try to ask a friend or the internet I'll post more pictures then ask questions,all my friends gave up on mustangs years ago so I only have a few ppl to ask