over serviced?

• Sponsors (?)

lots of pressure and things start blowin... my buddy blew all of his valve seals when he put to much in.. then again he ran it to red line after it was.. well i think he said he put 9 quarts in

There is no more oil pressure than normal. But you run the risk of blowing out your rear and front main seals as well as damaging other components!! Drain it all out and put the right amount in.

BTW- If there was enough to fill the cylinders it wouldn't run...it would hydrostatic lockup.

Whew, I saw the title and thought this was going to be a story about the Red light district and a wild Saturday night.

Mcclean is right - more oil does not equate to more OP, but rather less, once it aerates.

Hydolocking usually occurs when fluids are allowed into a cylinder via a port (valve, etc). I think you could fill the crankcase up pretty high before you would force oil past the rings (into the chambers)...........

What is making you think it was overserviced? Is it the reading on the dipstick?

A LOT of 5.0L motors got dipsticks that are improperly marked -- mine being one of them. To make sure you get the right amount of oil, you need to make sure that both drain plugs are pulled (tell the Quik-E Lube guys to make sure) when draining the oil. Add 5 quarts of new oil (4 quarts if you didn't change the filter, more if you have an aftermarket oil cooler), and then see where the diptick is indicating.

Mine indicates well above the crosshatched area, somewhere around the last L in FULL.