Paint Bubbling ???

Ok, kinda pissed right now. It has been raining for like that past 8 days here in New England.

I took my car to have new shocks and struts installed at a local garage. After the car was sitting for 2 hours it dried. BUT when you aproach the car .... it still looks like wax is making water bead marks. there are tiny pin head size marks all over the body. When you rub the body you can feel the impresions in the paint.

What can cause this? I washed the car like 2 weeks ago and it was not like this and it was buffed about a month ago. The paint itself is a little more than 3 years old. ** Clueless **

:damnit:

• Sponsors (?)

Hopefully it isn't rust forming under the Paint making it bubble.. Does it look like its in the clearcoat, or in the paint itself? Or maybe it was just the wax getting lifted up and running off the car from all the rain and it dried into beads.

I agree, try a good hand wash with a virgin wash mitt, not a sponge, some good car wash soap, and a spray bottle with a 50/50 mix of baby shampoo and a good rubdown with an overspray clay bar, don't put too much pressure on the bar though, and use plenty of the baby soap water solution to keep it from scratching the paint..then when you are done, get a good paint sealant not a wax and apply it over the surface..if the bubbles are still there take it to a good body shop like the one at tasca and have it looked at.

Me washing the car will not help. Its UNDER the paint .... not on top.

This happens when the paint gets wet. After it dries it tends to go away some what. Its still noticeable that the paint "lifted" where it did. At some point, I can get it to smooth it out with my fingernail.

Depending on how mother nature treats me this winter ..... i'll be looking for either a new car or new paint job next year.

Thinking on tu-tone if I go paint job route. I'll get some pics to show you if I can get them to show up.

Rokinhorse said:
if that is the case then most likely the car will need to be stripped and refinished properly, it sounds as though some type of contaminant got under the base coat, or between the base and clear..

Stripping the paint is what my body shop told me. He said he never seen it before. He did mention that it could be contanimated under the paint. But what gets him is that it would show up coupe of months after it was painted when it cured. This is happening like 4 years later. :shrug:

I've seen clear coat lift before ...... and its not that. This is deff coming from under the paint. Its kinda like a blister you get on your hand. :(

i hate to say this, but the problem sounds like rust... it's coming through, it sounds like the metal got contaminated during the prep last time and it's finally coming through... is it happening on the hood or either of the bumpers?

Rokinhorse said:
i hate to say this, but the problem sounds like rust... it's coming through, it sounds like the metal got contaminated during the prep last time and it's finally coming through... is it happening on the hood or either of the bumpers?

I saw it also, it looks like tiny clear blisters/bubbles - I also mentioned to him something might have gone wrong while the car was prepped - if thats the case i don't think it matters weather it's 4 years later or not I would take it back to the body shop that painted it and tell them to fix it as there might be a much larger problem on hand now.

The car is very well taken care of, it's not like there are a bunch of scuffs/scratches all over it, thus it wont look like he's just looking for a paint job because it wasn't taken care of.

Rokinhorse said:

I'd really like to rule out rust. This is happening on the rear wing which is where I first noticed it. The wing is fiberglass just like the Cobra R hood that also has some areas where it is happening. It is not posing a problem on the bumpers that i know of yet. Its been too cold to hand wash the car to really check it out. Im waiting for a nice bright day to attempt to take pics. If not, i'll head up to my cousins shop and toss it under the shop lights.

Thanks for the props Keith !!! :nice: