Electrical Passenger power window wont go up

1970machwon

Nov 17, 2018
Warner Robins, Georgia
I’ve tried a lot and spent a lot of money on stuff i thought would fix this and im coming here for some help.
My driver’s side window works peachy fine, passenger side ONLY goes down. Both sides have new motors that i tested in both directions, and i have all 3 of my power window switches new from LMR. I’ve been searching for a short or whatever it is that’s causing this to not work. I’ve even gotten an outside view to make sure im not going crazy. Driver’s side switch that controls the passenger window does nothing whatsoever, no up or down, passenger side passenger window switch only works down. I’ve tried scratching the pins for better connections and test lighting all kinds of things using the wiring diagram but it seems to me that everything should work properly. Any ideas as to what is causing it? I feel like it’s something simple I’m overlooking but I’m at a loss.

• Sponsors(?)

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
SN Certified Technician
Mar 10, 2000
Dublin GA
lowendmac.com
I’ve tried a lot and spent a lot of money on stuff i thought would fix this and im coming here for some help.
My driver’s side window works peachy fine, passenger side ONLY goes down. Both sides have new motors that i tested in both directions, and i have all 3 of my power window switches new from LMR. I’ve been searching for a short or whatever it is that’s causing this to not work. I’ve even gotten an outside view to make sure im not going crazy. Driver’s side switch that controls the passenger window does nothing whatsoever, no up or down, passenger side passenger window switch only works down. I’ve tried scratching the pins for better connections and test lighting all kinds of things using the wiring diagram but it seems to me that everything should work properly. Any ideas as to what is causing it? I feel like it’s something simple I’m overlooking but I’m at a loss.
Power Window tips & tricks

Motor removal & replacement

Remove the door mounted speaker & the upholstery panel to gain access to the motor. There are 3 screws (5/16" hex head, I think) that secure the motor in place. Remove them and the motor comes out without any problems. Once you remove all the screws from the motor, and it falls away from the gear teeth on the arm for the glass, the glass will move up and down. You may need a helper to hold the glass once the motor screws are out, since the gear on the motor holds the glass from sliding up or down

Motor interchange
The motor is the same for left side or right side, only the gearboxes are different. If you can't find the complete assembly for the side you want, you can get either side and use the old gearbox on the new motor.

The window motor gearbox has 3 plastic rollers that are a safety clutch to prevent possible injury if the window is rolled up while something or someone is hanging out the window. The plastic rollers will often disintegrate into chunks of plastic and the window will no longer roll up or down. The motor runs, but the window does not move or only move a little.
rnb-74410.jpg

The Help! section of your local auto parts store will have the replacement plastic rollers.
See NAPA Window Regulator Gear Plug

Napa p/n Balkamp 6651524

Cost is 9.49$

AutoZone and other auto parts stores see Dorman 74410 / Window Lift Motor Gear Kit
Cost is $7.99

Power Window Wiring Diagrams

Diagrams courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2birds

Fuse panel and circuit breaker layout
MustangFuseBox.gif

87-92 model cars power window wiring:

mustang87-92%20PowerWindowWiring.gif

93 model cars power window wiring:
mustang93PowerWindows.gif

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds (website host) for help on 88-95 wiring Mustang FAQ - Wiring & Engine Info Everyone should bookmark

Wayne Waldrep

Before I post a pic, do you have one of yours?
15 Year Member
Apr 14, 2003
Cuba, AL
This is just my thoughts with the info you gave. If you have new motors I'd say it's not the three plastic pucks inside the motor. You also have zero happening on one switch and only down on the other. I'd say it's definitely a wiring issue as opposed to mechanical. Where? No idea. What I would do is get a length of wire and put power on the window motor at the plug. Reverse and make the window move up and down. Then go from there.
That would be my two cents except it's only about ONE cent, if that....lol.

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
polk county florida
Look at the wiring diagram above, locate the power supply wire, does it have power? If you have power into the switch, determine if it has power coming out for up and down. There is a ground attached to the door, use this as your ground for checking power wires after you determine it is a good ground.

1970machwon

Nov 17, 2018
Warner Robins, Georgia
I FINALLY figured it out. it took me days of slaving away prodding things with a test light and grounding random wires. It was confusing me like hell because the passenger side would work if i grounded one side. The wires at the motor worked normally when i pressed down, but when i pressed up, it acted as though both sides were getting positive power and there was no ground. I traced the black and red wire from the drivers side into the car, prodding as i went, because it didn't supply properly on the passenger side. Somewhere between the door harness and the dash harness on the drivers side, the red/black wire is broken. At the dash harness, i wasn't getting power when i pressed in one direction. I jumped the red/black wire from the switch to the harness and it works perfect. For anyone wondering in the future, the connection from dash to door wiring is underneath the kick panel. it's the largest connector there with the right color wires to match.

Reactions: General karthief
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Lets try this again. Have a 72 Mach 1, need to replace the passenger side power motor. Motor engages but the window only moves slightly Classic Mustang Specific Tech 2
5 Passenger Side Power Window Issues 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 10
R Passenger Power Window Not Going Down But... Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
J 2011 Mustang Gt Passenger Power Window Problems 2010 - 2014 Specific Tech 1
J 2011 Mustang Gt Passenger Power Window Problems Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
Bob2000GT Passenger power window does not work with passenger switch SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 10
balderman Power Window Issue on Passenger Side 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 2
Efifty Passenger window and power lock doesn't work Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
Brian992V Weird problem with passenger power window 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 0
D Interior and Upholstery 2005 passenger seat power source 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 0
R Interior and Upholstery V6 Power Passenger Seat Input 2015+ (S550) Mustang -General/Talk 5
O Power passenger seat?? 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 4
W Passenger power seats? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
BlueOvalStangGT Whats a good power source nearby the passenger side kick panel? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 11
R Passenger side leak issues and cowl questions 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 1
7 Need 1988-90 lx body parts passenger door and maybe passenger fender ? My paint code is 7n thanks The Welcome Wagon 12
W HELP: 2007 Vert Leaking Above Passenger Door 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 0
J 07 convertible blower motor and rear passenger window 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 1
D 2000 Gt, Passenger Window not working- 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 3
6 Interior and Upholstery Help with passenger window doesn’t work from driver side 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 2
H WTB/Trade 1998 GT Convertible - Looking for Seats & Complete Door Panels both driver and passenger Interior Exterior Parts 0
K Interior and Upholstery Rear Passenger Floor Wet (HARDTOP) 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 1
S WTB/Trade Looking for passenger seatbelt for 92 convertible Interior Exterior Parts 4
S 92 Convertible Passenger window not raising 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 5
L What's it Worth? 1977 Mustang Cobra II What is it Worth?!?!? 2
9 SN95 Rain Getting In Passenger Side Floor 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 18
M Brakes How to remove passenger e-brake bracket 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 0
C Passenger Side Manifold to Mid pipe Stud SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 1
J Problem Installing a Passenger Side Valve Cover 2005 - 2014 Specific V6 Tech 1
S new engine ticking noise from passenger side cover Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
TheBugMan Built engine oil smoke on passenger side 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 1
JordanL94vert Interior and Upholstery 94 GT Mystery Cable Under Passenger Dash 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 2
G 2001 gt passenger door replacement help 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 1
H Felt Type Underbody Passenger Side Splash Cover / Shield Interfering with Installation of Jacking Rails 2015+ (S550) Mustang -General/Talk 6
J Interior and Upholstery 2000 v6 passenger side leak? NEED help SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 13
X 95 5.0 coolant leak passenger side 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 1
R WTB/Trade DRIVERS AND PASSENGERS SIDE WINDOWS FOR T-TOPS (GLASS) Interior Exterior Parts 0
R WTB/Trade Need t-top drivers and passenger side door windows for 1988 ford mustang 5.0 fox body Interior Exterior Parts 1
R Engine 95 Mustang GT-disconnected vacuum lines from Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
FetusLasVegas Paint and Body 89 GT, water leaking in from top of passenger side door Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
T 2017 Ecoboost Convertible - Passenger Side Puddle lamp 2015+ (S550) Mustang -General/Talk 0
S air conditioning is not cold in all the vents only the center one on the passenger side gets real cold. any suggestions as to whats wrong? The Welcome Wagon 1
acpowell SN95 Front passenger window regulator adjustment (window doesn't roll up "evenly") 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 3
F Electrical 1990 connector under passenger kick panel Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 8
MoDriver For Sale 1997-2004 Ford Mustang Front Right Passenger side ABS sensor F7ZC-2C204-AA Wheels Tires Brakes 0
L 2002 GT - Scraping sound on passenger rear wheel SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 4
Z Engine Coolant leak - Spraying from Passenger Side Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
1989LXFOX Knocking At Passenger Side Front Tire Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 8
S What Hose Is In Front Of Passenger Side Wheel Behind Plastic Guard SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 21
killer5.0 Found A Few Tears In My Passenger Lower Torque Box...how Bad Is It? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 4