PC help: Which of these MBs is better?

Fett

Nov 2, 2004
I am trying to peice together a PC for a first time user....yes, a first time PC owner. He doesn't want it for anything other than internet really. I am using my old gateway as a starting point, but I have another motherboard that has never been opened. I am thinking that there is a problem with the USB ports on the current motherboard, plus it's 6 years old. But I do not know if the new motherboard is "better".

It will have the Intel P-III 1000 processor installed, along with 512 ram (the max either MB can hold).

Basically, which of these two MBs would be better?

The original Gateway MB.

or

The "new" Intel MB.

Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

I know you already said you have stuff for it.
But dell runs a deal very often, where they offer their base comp, with a 19 flat wide flat panel for like $499, i've even seen it for $450.
My buddy got one of them, added another gig of ram and some other BS and still only came to $650.

For a guy that just uses the internet, IMO that's the way to go, because PC parts can be expensive seperate.
The Ram and monitor kill the price when piecing it together.

Intel, hands down

Agreed with this, but also consider that the intel MB came with its own version of a BIOS that will allow you to tweak it, whereas the Dell and Gateway based ones are locked down. I would prefer the ability to be able to tweak a bit as opposed to restricted. You can obviously update the BIOS on the Gateway, but its just easier to go Intel...