performance gains for 02v6 5 spd

92-93lxsrule

Oct 26, 2002
I just purchased an 02...3.8....5 spd manual stang coupe
with 56K miles on it.Just like everyone who ownes a stang,I want more
performance but not overkill.Im thinking with royal purple 41 syn oils
in trans,diff,motor.....cold air induction...K@N....Borla muffler
I could get close to 220hp.Is this correct?How much more could i do to this
stang without tons of upfront cash and risk tearing up 5 spd and 7.5 rear?
Im pretty sure under 300 ponies will be safe.

• Sponsors (?)

92-93lxsrule said:
I just purchased an 02...3.8....5 spd manual stang coupe
with 56K miles on it.Just like everyone who ownes a stang,I want more
performance but not overkill.Im thinking with royal purple 41 syn oils
in trans,diff,motor.....cold air induction...K@N....Borla muffler
I could get close to 220hp.Is this correct?How much more could i do to this
stang without tons of upfront cash and risk tearing up 5 spd and 7.5 rear?
Im pretty sure under 300 ponies will be safe.

Uh, no where near 220, sorry to burst that bubble.

I am hitting 187 on last dyno N/A with UD full exhaust with LT, O/R pipe catback, CAI and more.

With the Nitrous I hit 249/339 with a rich 75 shot.

That is your best bang for the buck. Spend 1k and you can have a 14 sec 1/4 miler.

I was putting down 14.3's all day on street tires wiht a 2.2 60 foot. Need some ET Street tires and I will be in the 13's easily.

Manual V6 is somewhere around 170-180rwhp and auto is about 150-155rwhp. Mine was 155rwhp with a cold air intake which gives about 3 rwhp. Nitrous is a good bang for the buck quickly, but over time it becomes expensive with the bottle fills. But there are alot of mods you can do, Underdrive pulley, intake, exhaust, headers, ported heads, ported intake, cam, roller rockers, stroker kit, nitrous, supercharger, and turbocharger. You pretty much just have to get a goal that you want to get to eventually, which direction you want to go, then do it. Like if you want to supercharge/turbocharger your car to reach high horsepower, then you don't want an intake and you would want 2.5" exhaust, but if you only want 220hp, then you want 2-2.25" exhaust.

Changing the rear end actually makes you loose horse power its about a 12 horse power lose on the GT. The only thing it does is alow you to get on your torgue curve much faster. If you want to gain horse power out of the rear end then you need to get a micronite finish done to it. This is a hardening process that will gain you 2 horse power if your lucky. The rear end is a part for horse power but it will help preformance. Underdrive pulley, intake, exhaust, headers, ported heads, ported intake, cam and roller rockers are the best way to go. They cost alot to do but if you do all that you'll be faster then the rest of the V6's on here. Do all that then if your still not happy with how fast it is throw a shot of NOS on there that should really do the trick.

gears have absolutely nothing to do with power, just how quickly you get into your power band... better pickup off the line and better top end speed are what to expect with some steeper gears.. same power/torque as before

they don't truely change the power just amplify how fast the revolutions increase to put the power down, but the farther from a 1:1 ratio the gears are, the more a dyno is off. The only way you really could get hp out of gears, is make them so they have less losses to heat, in which case more power goes to the ground instead of ending up as head inside the rear. But most of the losses are in a transmission so it's nothing big. But gears are one way to crop off part of your ET.

The original poster simply said he wanted to improve the performance without tons of upfront cash.... and for his money new ring/pinion sounds right up his alley. I didnt say they would improve horsepower, just something he should look into. Go out and drive one of your buddy's V6s with the different gearing. Then you might be kicking your self in your OWN REAR END for not doing gears sooner. Best seat of pants mod you can do.....

Gears are good, on the stock V6 going from 3.27 to 3.73 gears does reduce the quarter mile ET by a little under half a second, a definately noticable mod. Cost wise, it can be $300-ish for the gears and a T-lok, then the install and getting the ECU corrected for the gears (chip is around $200, flasher is $380).

If you go with the 3.73 get a Mikronite finish on them it's a hardening process. It will be great on your gears and you should get id done to all parts that you put in your car like cams and things. It makes your gears so smooth that you don't even have to put oil in the gears not that I would recomend that. If you take your car to the dyno right now run it and then put the gears on you will loose about ten HP with the finish you won't loose that and of your lucky you'll gain one horse power or so.

MiKronite finish: http://www.mikronite.com/

3.73 Gears with Mikronite finish: http://www.weather-check.com/3_73_gear_&_pinion.htm

Yeah, gears themselves loose no HP. The micronite stuff decreases friction losses if it really does work. That dyno doesn't say everything really, temprature and humidity differences and even the exact octane ratio and combustion can EASILY about for 10hp shifts. Looking at it, the 2nd dyno was done earlier in the morning when it would be cooler. An easy way to think, every +10 degrees is -1% of power.