Progress Thread Pete is checking out these valve covers

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have Advance Auto by you…. Found this die hard with a quick search.

My last battery was from Costco in 2017…… I’ll probably be needing to find a replacement soon as well.

That is the exact battery currently in my 91 LX.
It fits perfect and has been great since 3/2021.

Attachments

• IMG_2053.png
    IMG_2053.png
    518.6 KB · Views: 21
I am trying to work around the $189 plus tax. I just lost about three grand on this Jeep and Im feeling a little wounded. Walmart has batteries at $109. I need to get two rims. I want the back ten inch for that staggered look, and I need four tires. Thats bout a quick grand plus. I also need to get a sleeve and new Rear Main Seal with possible clutch pad because its soaked in oil. I think Im paying to have that done because Im not into dropping the tranny on the garage floor. So Im going to give an estimate on a job then going to get a battery so I can get this thing out of the garage

Walmart two year 650 crankin group 24 I think. $109.00 I feel bad about not buying things at Advanced Auto, but online prices can cut them in half. This battery still has the positive lug within a range to touch the hood that Im not cool with.

Don’t you want an “accessory” hot so that the radio shuts off when the car is shut off?
Or else you’ll have to remember to shut it every time, or risk ruining your new battery ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t you want an “accessory” hot so that the radio shuts off when the car is shut off?
Or else you’ll have to remember to shut it every time, or risk ruining your new battery ;)
I had to wire mine differently because I didn't want the pump to prime or my AFR meter to heat up just to play the radio.

Reactions: 1 users
Like he said. If I put it on Accesory my battery dies quick. Like the power is still going through everything. Plus I loose all my presets. The more I think about it Metra has it wrong on the harness?? You guys seem to know of this'

There should be a 'keep memory alive' wire that needs constant power, on the few stereos I've installed it was blue (the next post show Metra kit is yellow :shrug: )
And no, they did not have tubes or a hand crank.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, something is way wrong with the wiring if you have the key in accessory and the battery drains super quick. If all you have is the head unit you should be able to play the radio for a couple of hours (at low volume and with no amps) and still could start the car. Metra is not immune to making mistakes in their wiring harnesses so you should check the wiring in the car and make sure that the Metra adapters are pinned correctly.

Metra standard harness (no premium sound)
1704897267275.png

Walmart two year 650 crankin group 24 I think. $109.00 I feel bad about not buying things at Advanced Auto, but online prices can cut them in half. This battery still has the positive lug within a range to touch the hood that Im not cool with.

A Group 24 battery is about 2 inches taller than the recommended (for your car) Group 58 battery. I could see where that might present a clearance problem. Why can't you use a Group 58 battery?

There should be a 'keep memory alive' wire that needs constant power, on the few stereos I've installed it was blue (the next post show Metra kit is yellow :shrug: )
And no, they did not have tubes or a hand crank.
Yep….. havnt done one in a while, but the constant memory was always blue. Red wire for the “key on/accessory”.

I remember back in the day, my dad telling me to make sure it’s on accessory, and not run, when running the radio with the car off, as to not ruin the old school points in the distributor! (The good ole days)

Reactions: 1 users
Group 58 is a battery that Walmart doesnt seem to cover anymore..The Group 24 is working out ok. The General set me strait. Im going back in and doing it right on the radio.. Back in the day I wouldnt be surprised if I had it wrong