PI head swap with out the compression increase?

03SonicSvt

Feb 3, 2004
Philly, Pa
I want to get the pi heads for my 96 saleen but without the compression increase since im going get a blower. I don't have the money to build the bottom end yet but what do you guys recomend, should I get the pi heads and put a blower on with the increase in compression or get my stock heads ported instead? Or does a company make a thicker head gasket to keep my compression form going up.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a complete PI swap from the previous owner, I ordred a MPH T-trim mongoose kit and am having it installed and tuned at MPH. If I had done the swap I would have just ported my NPI heads and then went with the PI intake and a set of blower cams since the heads are gonna be apart.

Ported NPI heads are pretty close to ported PI ones.

You could also go with a thicker head gasket, I dont know the brand but I know people have done that as well.

Theres a guy on modularfords that did the pi swap with a vortech kit, he has cometic head gaskets, hes pushin about 430rwhp. He has the .078 thick cometic head gaskets, which dropped the compression down to 9.3:1. Other option is to find a used pi engine and swap the whole thing in. The thing about the npi heads is that you need to find a cam thats under .535 lift. PI heads are supposed to be better on blower cars also..

im pretty sure you can run a blower on a pi swapped car, youjust need to tune for the increased compression. I have a set of PI heads to go on my 96 saleen, along with a novi 2000 that I'll probably pulley to 11-13psi. You can run boost on an increased compresion, but it will put more stress on the shortblock and headbolts.

If you have the combustion chambers of the pi heads polished, that'll take down the cr slightly. Apparently TEA to good headwork as do MANY others like VT etc.

Im planning to bolt the heads on with a set of billet blower cams and see how the tune goes.

<where's the damn :fingerscrossed: smiley>

EDGE