Please critique yet another combo.

First post here, please excuse me for the zillionth “combo thread”. I’ve been searching all the forums for months and finally ready to settle on a parts list. I have a 94 GT T-5, Cobra intake, CAI, MAC shorties-O/R pipe-Flows. MGW shifter and 3.73s.

Goal is deep in the 13s on motor only, deep in the 12s with a 100 dry shot. Exceptional street manners are a must. I believe I am chasing something similar to what Grady, 5.0_Finals has built. Would like to do it “right enough” initially, so I can chase a little more performance later without starting completely over. Here’s the combo I believe I am going with unless a consensus believes it can’t meet my goals. I’m thinking this puts me around 280HP with good torque down low.

AFR 165s, standard springs
1.6 Rollers
Custom Cam
TMOSS port on the Cobra lower
190 or 255 pump?
AFPR
65TB
24# injectors?
Tweecer R/T
Drag Radials
Subframe connectors and probably control arms too.
NOS 05115 Kit- Dry kit

I have seriously entertained the idea of trying to pull this off with GT-40X, stock cam, TB, MAF and injectors. But it seems that might be on the edge with my goals.

Did I leave anything important out? All this puts me right at $4K, which is pretty much the budget. If I add anything, pretty much have to save money elsewhere. BTW, I am in Iraq at the moment. This should give me time to perhaps pick up a few used parts on the cheap. I built enough projects to know the initial budget won’t survive.

Thanks,
Dewayne

• Sponsors (?)

FTI for the camshaft, use a 70MM TB instead of the 65, Pro-M 80MM MAF, 30# Injectors (for the nitrous), 255LPH pump, skip the Adjustable fuel regulator if getting a Tweecer because fuel adjustments can be made through that. Do a search for Rootus. I believe he is selling his entire combo for $1600 (AFR 165's, Edelbrock Intake, FTI cam).

VibrantRedGT said:
FTI for the camshaft, use a 70MM TB instead of the 65, Pro-M 80MM MAF, 30# Injectors (for the nitrous), 255LPH pump, skip the Adjustable fuel regulator if getting a Tweecer because fuel adjustments can be made through that. Do a search for Rootus. I believe he is selling his entire combo for $1600 (AFR 165's, Edelbrock Intake, FTI cam).

:stupid:

I agree with everything Joe said.

That combo is VERY similar to mine except for the intake and my car is one of the most streetable HCI cars I have ever driven or rode in. I made 304rwhp/331rwtq with my setup.

Killercanary said:

I agree with everything Joe said.

That combo is VERY similar to mine except for the intake and my car is one of the most streetable HCI cars I have ever driven or rode in. I made 304rwhp/331rwtq with my setup.

One more FTI ...... kinda guy ...... is in agreement :rlaugh:

I'm with Joe & Paul :nice:

Joe had a great idea :Word:

Give Dave a shout about his old combo :D

Welcome to :SNSign: Dewayne :banana:

Grady

i would just like to add that if you are running a dry kit that supplements fuel pressure you might need an aftermarket fpr. some kits require a 1:1 pressure ratio reg for proper operation--you should consult the manuf for details.

i am not 100% if the stock reg is 1:1, but i know i had to get an aftermarket reg on my f-body with a zex kit as it was not.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll search up Dave and talk to him about his combo. I recall seeing his combo, but didn't think a used custom cam would necessarily work out for me.

And yes Ben, the NOS Brand NO2 system does indeed use fuel pressure to up the fuel 1:1 for the "dry" shot. It seemed like the best way to deal with the very occasional use of nitrous. I'm trying to avoid/lessen the initial problems of too much fuel for a new street combo. I'm a rookie tuner, and the tweecer forums don't give me much confidence I'll be good at it anytime quick.

With exception of using trickflow for the intake and heads, I'm in the process of building that exact same combo with the exact same goal.

The TwEECer is your friend. It was one of the first mods I bought, and I have been using it for several months successfully. Now that the spring is coming around and I "have it down" I'll be ready for some serious mods and be able to avoid tuning frustrations.

If you know what parts you're gonna get from where, you can have a TwEECer tune ready to go before your parts even come in! It won't be spot on but you'll be able to get the car running.

I'm also a little concerned about the hypercrappy pistons in our stock blocks. There is plenty of evidence of guys running 125 dry shots without a problem, but there are enough cracked piston stories out there to make me pause.

You might also want to step up to 4.10s... they are pretty much perfect for that combo in terms of crossing the line in 4th right at redline. Depending on other factors, you might be leaving a few hundred RPM on the table. Not a big deal but something to think about.

Speaking of differentials, we're both gonna need a beefier one and some new axles to run sticky tires.

Adam

I definitely considered the Trickflow route. We are fortunate to have so many options. Many of them seem to end up with similar results if done correctly.

I believe you on the Tweecer comments. I look forward to tuning with it. Hopefully building my combo with common parts will make is easier to get help while I learn to tune.

I suspect many of nitrous horror stories are self inflicted by people who throw on a kit, flip the toggle and hope the AFR is right. We can do a lot to lessen the likelihood of catastrophic failure. I'm easing into the nitrous thing. If this combo makes the power everybody says, perhaps I'll be less inclined to even run nitrous. But I very much want a 12 SEC ride, that isn't a PITA on the street. Without a second thought, I'll use NO2 to get this heavy car there if I need to.

I'm staying with my 3.73s for now. Regarding the 8.8, I was raised on 9" Fords. I never broke one. Every 8.8 I disassemble seems to need hard parts. Upgrades there are going to have to wait for me. I'll probably be posting T5 and 8.8 threads after the combo is done. :(