Please help me identify pinging

fastf50rd

Jan 17, 2003
mass.
I thought i've always known what detonation sounds like, but i may be wrong. The noise i'm experiencing right now is a slight tick. It only happens for a second when i mash the pedal in 2nd or 3rd. It almost sounds like its loading up, or something of a miss. It is just a real quick tick or tap sound. Please let me know if you think this could be a ping. thanks alot
-Matt

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, for whatever reason, it just started pinging like mad. I've been driving it for a few weeks with no problem, now it sounds like a damn machine gun. I have no clue what caused this, it sucks though. What is pinging anyway? I know it's detonation, but what exactly is it? What causes it? thanks for your help.
-Matt

Pinging occurs when the air fuel mixture combusts too early or unevenly. Uneven burn (flame) across the top of the piston causes uneven downward pressure on the top surface. Generally, you want an even flamefront from the middle of the piston out to the edges. When the mixture combusts too early or unevenly, the flame reaches one edge before the other. This, in turn, causes the piston to "rock" or teeter on the way down the cylinder after combustion.

Causes: too much timing advance, too low fuel grade or faulty sensors. I know that a bad EGR will cause pinging since it helps reduce pinging at part throttle... Not sure if other sensors will cause pinging or not.

Hopefully someone can chime in on other faulty sensors that can cause this. I'd start with a general tune up and a tank of better fuel. Did you maybe fuel up with a cheaper fuel the last time you got a tank?

Hope this helps a bit.

I have the best solution for all of you who have pinging problem and its real, listen on this board im probably the guy who have experienced the most pinging problem, my car was pinging for 2 year with almost 3000 $ spend in tune up part, i have change all the part, all the sensor ... and never resolve my problem, i have run my car at 7*timing with 92 octane gas + 1 full bottle of NOS octane booster in a 1/2 gaz tank so this day i was probably at 105 octane and all the time the same metal noise, pinging but one day i talk to JR fuller on this board and he tell me a mod about the spout connector so this is the solution for you guys,

REMOVE YOUR SPOUT CONNECTOR LOCATED UNDER THE INLET TUBE
PUT YOUR TIMING AT 26*
NEVER REINSTALL THE SPOUT
RUN YOUR CAR WITH PREMIUM FUEL ALL THE TIME
SHIFT AT 5K RPM
YOU WILL GAIN A COUPLE OF HORSE BY THE WAY

Look at my mods, my best et time was 13.90 at 98 mph after doing this mods i pull a 13.72 and no more pinging from a 60*C days to a hot 100*C so this is not a joke

try it and be sure that you will have always the smile on your face

:flag:

If this ping suddenly started showing up and its light I would say that you got some less then perfect fuel.. Go top off with known good fuel and see if it goes away..

As for the spout connector thing, nice to see it works for you Bad Saleen but I am not sure I would recommend that as a normal fix... All you did is cover up the inadequacy of the 94-95 programming, I would be more inclined to remap your ecu and get a bunch of other gains at the same time..

This, in turn, causes the piston to "rock" or teeter on the way down the cylinder after combustion.

thats a joke, dont post if you dont know what your talking about.
What you hear is the fuel molecules ricocheting around in the cylinder. thats what eats ups the pistons like a bead blaster left in one place to long and either puts a hole in it or eats up the ring lands down the side of the piston. Detonation can be caused by many things including carbon buildup, running hot,lean mixure,poor fuel quaility,to much timing, ect. (if your pistons are "rocking" its time for a rebuild!)

O.K. The car does not run hot. I use what i know is good gas. My timing is set at 10* base, the chip controls it after that, 20* overall. I've recently had the heads off, no carbon buildup. No vaccum leaks, I have no clue what it is. It just happened out of no where and its killing me. I've checked all fuses, inspected my O2 sensors. The only thing i can think of is my MAF some how went bad. Does anyone know the REAL way to check the MAF to see if it is operating right? Please help.