Polished the Stainless side-pipes ~pics~

CobraRed_96_GT

May 20, 2006
UCSD/La Jolla
If people would like i could make a how-to thread in tech about how to polish stainless - it isn't really the same process as polishing aluminum at all. I used wet sand grits and metal polish then poor boy's paste wax (to prevent rubber from sticking to pipe again) - but the proper way is emery and stainless compound on power tools, but this way works as well.

Having exit pipes by the tires and low to the ground make for a pretty abrasive environment.
Before:
Picture131-1.jpg

Picture134-1.jpg

Picture132.jpg

While wet sanding, the tire side of the pipes were covered in old burnt rubber from the track and the like which was cemented onto the pipes. This was indeed hard to dislodge, it was like taking off cement from steel.

Picture003-5.jpg

Ahh the simplicity of properly made side-pipes

Picture002-2.jpg

Picture001-3.jpg

My home made terrycloth/cotton buffer:p

Picture004.jpg

Finished polishing after the last 3000 grit run through:

Picture007-1.jpg

Picture008-2.jpg

Picture005-3.jpg

Picture009-1.jpg

Picture012-1.jpg

On the car, sorry for poor lighting:

Picture137.jpg

just dust sitting on top of the pipe:
Picture018.jpg

IMG_0071-1.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

polished mine up 2 weeks ago.

get some soap and water, steel wool, and 1500 grit sandpaper, simple green, and bug and tar remover.

get some boiling hot water, put it in a bucket dip the tips in there, and let them soak for a few minutes get the stuff on there nice and warmed up. take your bug and tar remover and wet your 1500 grit and starting lightly sanding in one direction only. then take your simple green and spray them good, let em sit for about 5 minutes. now with the simple green still on the tips, take your steel wool and rub back and forth in the same direction as you did with the sandpaper. once that's done, rinse the tips off, and dry them really good. now take some blue magic metal polish (works on chrome, steel, aluminum) and apply generous coats to both tips...let it set for about 5 - 10 minutes. now take a damp (i stress damp, not wet) cloth and start buffing manually, and use some elbow grease. once you have the desired result, wipe 'em dry and you're done. now go reinstall them and show 'em off.