Port the AFR's or Not?

7upstang91

10 Year Member
May 30, 2008
Florida
I am going to tear into my motor, due to a recent oil leak I just found a couple days ago. Also just found out that the guy who tuned my car sucks at tuning and can't tune to save his life. Basically payed $400 for 5 dyno pulls. As this is said when I go to have a look to check on rings and pistons and go from there. I will do a compression test before first.

That said, should I port my 165cc AFR heads? Would it be worth it? How much would it cost? Just looking to port the intake because I like my compression ratio 9.5 to 1. Boost friendly:nice:

Also I have the Typhoon intake(piece of junk I'm told). So either port or buy a different used one? Don't have a whole lot of money to work with. Any opinion would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

I personally wouldn't.

Your car should have more power in it without touching them.

Very different combo, but my father has unported AFR185s on a 393 stroker, all motor, carb, big lift solid roller and throws down mid 400s to the tire and has been 9.88 @ 136. The AFR heads work very well.

Inspection of the Typhoon reveals the cost savings. The intake is nowhere near as cleaned up as its Edelbrock counterpart. The port openings are irregular and inconsistent in size, and there is considerable casting flash in the runners. Visually it appears the mating surfaces are square, but we wouldn't be surprised if they run wider tolerances than domestic product. Nevertheless the problems are not insurmountable. Most guys may be willing to sacrifice a couple hours of cleanup time with a die grinder for $200 in the bank. We spent a little time gasket matching the port openings (see below), and cleaning up excessive flash.

FORDMUSCLE webmagazine: Budget EFI Intake Installation. Professional Products Typhoon Intake Manifold

That said, should I port my 165cc AFR heads? Would it be worth it? How much would it cost? Just looking to port the intake because I like my compression ratio 9.5 to 1. Boost friendly:nice:

Also I have the Typhoon intake(piece of junk I'm told). So either port or buy a different used one? Don't have a whole lot of money to work with. Any opinion would be great.

Maybe you just worded it weird, but you know porting doesn't affect CR, right? The intake and exhaust port have nothing to do with combustion chamber volume.

I agree with 25th, the heads are probably OK at your performance level. Being that it is a supercharged motor though, you might see some benefit from porting, but it might be more work than its worth.

I also agree with Notchbck93, a little inspection and cleanup of your Typhoon would probably go a long way.

I wouldn't think about touching the heads. Unless you have done a few sets, understand airflow dynamics, and have a flow bench people usually do more harm than good.

I actually have a set of "competition" AFR 165s. I spoke with Tony at length about these at AFR who personally designed the porting program for these specific heads. The 165 comp heads come with more porting, 7/16" studs, and heavier duty springs.
Part #1404
Air Flow Research

73310488.jpg

73310491.jpg

I still have a stock 93-95 shortblock and that's why I went with these heads but they have just a little more grunt than the "standard" 165s. I'm also running a mild Lunati cam that I know works well with these particular heads...can't remember the spec other than the .525" lift. Basically running the same combo that MM&FF magazine did on their 85 Capri project a while ago. Using a 575 Demon and Weiand stealth intake they made something like 317 hp. to the wheels. I went further with that and am running all the same stuff except a holley 650 dp which i think is comparable, long tube headers on mine (shorties on their car), a Canton pan and scraper, no accessories except an alternator so I'm hoping to lay down even more power with my 85 notch.
Anyways - I would suggest sending the heads over to Tony and have AFR tweak your existing heads if you want to do more with them?

Maybe you just worded it weird, but you know porting doesn't affect CR, right? The intake and exhaust port have nothing to do with combustion chamber volume.

I agree with 25th, the heads are probably OK at your performance level. Being that it is a supercharged motor though, you might see some benefit from porting, but it might be more work than its worth.

I also agree with Notchbck93, a little inspection and cleanup of your Typhoon would probably go a long way.

From what I read the exhaust ports do??? Not sure about that though. I would have everything professionally done as far as porting wise. I personally no not to start learning how to port on AFRs. Also since I have never done porting it would be worth my money to have it done the correct way.

I actually have a set of "competition" AFR 165s. I spoke with Tony at length about these at AFR who personally designed the porting program for these specific heads. The 165 comp heads come with more porting, 7/16" studs, and heavier duty springs.

Actually I do believe I have the "competition" ones if I remember correctly. Here is the thing it would probably cost me more to ship and port than to have them done locally. I might be better off selling them then and taking the money to buy bigger 185cc heads??? Just another idea.

Inspection of the Typhoon reveals the cost savings. The intake is nowhere near as cleaned up as its Edelbrock counterpart. The port openings are irregular and inconsistent in size, and there is considerable casting flash in the runners. Visually it appears the mating surfaces are square, but we wouldn't be surprised if they run wider tolerances than domestic product..../QUOTE]

Well a 1/10 of second is a 1/10 of second, could be the deciding factor in a race. I could port the intake at home. Sounds like a plan or pay to have them ported. Thank you very much for the article.

Inspection of the Typhoon reveals the cost savings. The intake is nowhere near as cleaned up as its Edelbrock counterpart. The port openings are irregular and inconsistent in size, and there is considerable casting flash in the runners. Visually it appears the mating surfaces are square, but we wouldn't be surprised if they run wider tolerances than domestic product..../QUOTE]

Well a 1/10 of second is a 1/10 of second, could be the deciding factor in a race. I could port the intake at home. Sounds like a plan or pay to have them ported. Thank you very much for the article.

MY point was that porting your heads won't do you a lick of good if you have a dirty typhoon on top; clean that up first!

From what I read the exhaust ports do???

Nope. Anything before the intake valve and anything after the exhaust valve have nothing to do with compression ratio.

What you might have heard is that sometimes when you increase the efficiency of the exhaust (make it flow better) you might see a drop in boost gauge pressure. This is just from an increase in the system volumetric efficiency, and usually doesn't necessarily hurt power. But, of course, this is where having the right cam comes into play, because the overlap period and valve timing events can really effect how much of that compressed air actually gets into and stays in the cylinder.

Nope. Anything before the intake valve and anything after the exhaust valve have nothing to do with compression ratio.

What you might have heard is that sometimes when you increase the efficiency of the exhaust (make it flow better) you might see a drop in boost gauge pressure. This is just from an increase in the system volumetric efficiency, and usually doesn't necessarily hurt power. But, of course, this is where having the right cam comes into play, because the overlap period and valve timing events can really effect how much of that compressed air actually gets into and stays in the cylinder.

I was thinking about a custom cam, just not sure about how much it would really cost me. I am going to try to pull on the paperwork on the motor soon and have someone look into a good cam for it.

I am going to tear into my motor, due to a recent oil leak I just found a couple days ago. Also just found out that the guy who tuned my car sucks at tuning and can't tune to save his life. Basically payed $400 for 5 dyno pulls. As this is said when I go to have a look to check on rings and pistons and go from there. I will do a compression test before first.

who ever says a typhoon is garbage, is very stupid themselves, a damn cobra pos intake is no better and the typhoon flows more, and its cheaper!!
a ported typhoon will support alot of power (more than a gt40)

The typhoon might not be the best but it isn't bad. If you like supporting Chineese ripping off of American companies, alright, just don't complain when you get laid off because your company moves to China or can't compete with the Chineese copy. Anyways, extra cleanup might be well worth the money, both in power and cost savings.

The typhoon might not be the best but it isn't bad. If you like supporting Chineese ripping off of American companies, alright, just don't complain when you get laid off because your company moves to China or can't compete with the Chineese copy. Anyways, extra cleanup might be well worth the money, both in power and cost savings.

Oh sorry, it was bought used about 6 years ago. Happy? I recycled.