Pulley's on the Cobra - Any danger?

BlkOnBlk04Cobra

May 23, 2005
Erie, PA
I'm probably being redundant, but I couldn't find this info anywhere within the forums. I'm looking at modding my '04 Cobra and see several pulley size options and various anticipated boost gains.:D

1.5-2.5 lbs. 3.400"
3.5-4.5 lbs. 3.100"
5-6 lbs. 2.930"
6-7 lbs. 2.760"

Anyone have any suggestions / experiences to offer. I'm concerned with damaging the internals or otherwise with the extra boost. Is there a "safe" zone here? :shrug:

Also - the only other mod I have at this point is a Borla catback.:nice: What other items might compliment the pulleys on the intake side of things?

• Sponsors (?)

The 2.93 is the best "Compromise" between boost and over spinning the blower. You WILL NEED A CUSTOM TUNE in order to run any smaller pulley. Your A/F ratio has to be adjusted since you'll be cramming in a lot more air with a smaller pulley.

Besides the cat-back the other "Best-bang-for-the-Buck" mod is a good CAI.

U.M.

There seems to be a big fuss over the forthcoming billetflow throttle bodies. What's the most I can do (and in the progression that makes sense) from the filter to the blower? - CAI (brand recommendation); MAF; Throttlebody...? I'm not incredible technical, so I'm still trying to understand what each will do??? Thanks!!!!

There are a number of good and proven CAI's out there. Steeda, JLT, KnN are just a few, and most have had good results with them. I decided to go with the 2.93 upper to get some extra boost but stay safe ( safe, yea right ).
If you do decide to go with an upper the two you should consider are Billetflow and Reichard Racing. Most have had great results with both of these. Also do yourself a favor and get the idlers and snub bracket with it.
Stock pieces are known to break under heavy load plus they will add some
nice BLING under the hood.:nice: As far as throttle bodies go, I would hold off on that until the BF piece comes out. For basically bolt-on cobra's, a throttle body will net minimal gains and for the cost is really not worth it. As you begin to increase your power and boost, a throttle body may be something to consider. I am waiting to see what type of gains the new BF piece will give for cobra's in my power range.:) Woo Hooo i just hit the magical 500 post mark.:eek:

BlkOnBlk04Cobra said:
There seems to be a big fuss over the forthcoming billetflow throttle bodies. What's the most I can do (and in the progression that makes sense) from the filter to the blower? - CAI (brand recommendation); MAF; Throttlebody...? I'm not incredible technical, so I'm still trying to understand what each will do??? Thanks!!!!
Billetflow throttle body. :drool: A quality piece for sure and soon to go back into production I hear! Thing is you won't see much if any gain from an aftermarket TB on the 03/04 Cobra until you exceed that magical 500RWHP mark. Don't matter if it's the Accufab, the Billetflow, or those cheap ass BBK's. Not a good power mod for the money spent until you start moving enough air to take advantage of a larger TB!

Stay away from ANY and ALL aftermarket MAF & MAF housings until you're maxing out the stock meter. The stock MAF is good for a little over 500 RWHP so until you start running out of MAF stick with the sock unit because all the tuners find the stock unit to be the most hassle free to tune for.

A good CAI is ALL you need as far as intake is concerned. I suggest either a K&N FIPK or a JLT RAI. The stock throttle body and intake tube flow just fine and there are literally no real gains to be made by swapping them out.

U.M.

As always - You guys rock! Any feedback regarding going with a billetflow intake plenum over the stock plenum? (It makes for great eye candy.) Do either of you have pics of the CAI kits you've installed. I'm a little hung up on looks... If she ain't pretty, why show her to your friends.

BlkOnBlk04Cobra said:
As always - You guys rock! Any feedback regarding going with a billetflow intake plenum over the stock plenum? (It makes for great eye candy.) Do either of you have pics of the CAI kits you've installed. I'm a little hung up on looks... If she ain't pretty, why show her to your friends.
If you want pretty, then go with the JLT RAI. It performs VERY well, is one of the most inexpensive CAI's avaiable, and you can have it painted to match your car. They'll even put flames on it if you want. http://www.jlttruecoldair.com/

Billetflow Intake Plenum? I'm not sure what you are talking about? :shrug: Got a link?

U.M.

BlkOnBlk04Cobra said:
Sorry for the delayed response.... here's the link.. ?
http://www.billetflow.com/2003SVTCobra.htm
Skip it for now. Not going to provide much if any gain with your current setup and the cost is pretty high just for some underhood "Bling".

It's cheaper to have your stock TB ported any ways. In fact, the hot ticket lately has been to get the stock Supercharger, Plenum, and Throttle Body all ported at the same time by these guys: http://www.stiegemeier.com/index1.html
For $745.00 they will perform a Stage IV port job on all 3 items and you're looking at a 50+ RWHP gain. Whats cool is from the outside it still looks like a totally stock Eaton M112! :nice: and if you really just HAVE to HAVE some bling... they will POLISH your whole setup too, total cost for port & polish of all three components... $1395.00

U.M.
super10.jpg

...Ok - Last question. What kind of RWHP do you think would be developed with the following: Borla Catback; Billetflow 2.93 pulley; JLT CAI and the ported supercharger, plenum and TB? Any "heat" concerns with the 2.93 that I should be aware of? Can they do anything to the supercharger to help cope with the overspinning effect of the 2.93 or the 2.76? Thanks again!!! :hail2:

BlkOnBlk04Cobra said:
...Ok - Last question. What kind of RWHP do you think would be developed with the following: Borla Catback; Billetflow 2.93 pulley; JLT CAI and the ported supercharger, plenum and TB? Any "heat" concerns with the 2.93 that I should be aware of? Can they do anything to the supercharger to help cope with the overspinning effect of the 2.93 or the 2.76? Thanks again!!! :hail2:
With a good tune you're looking at 460-480RWHP with that combo I would think. The 2.93 in my opinion is the perfect pulley for the M112 Eaton on the 03/04 Cobra. It gives a couple more pounds of boost compared to stock and doesn't overspin the blower to the point of massive heat soak.

U.M.

My guess is closer to 500+ with those mods. My mods are 2.76 pulley with idlers, gatorback belt (don't forget this), full Bassani catback, JLT CAI and a tune. I got 460 out of mine at the rear. Port the blower and related parts and I guarantee more than 500. If I didn't get 500+ I would be very disappointed. I also waited a long time before I modded my Cobra because I wanted to make sure that what I did to it was going to work. I have had absolutely no problems with anything and ran a 12.5 on the stock F1's (I know, I know, I need some launch practice). I just watched others put parts on and found what worked for other guys before I decided what parts to buy. I wouldn't worry too much about going to a 2.76 pulley, might as well get all you can out of it. The motor is strong and will deal with that pulley just fine. Of course some of this is subjective. If you rod the crap out of your car everyday then you will probably have problems sooner than later. If you just like to have fun once in awhile, you'll have no problems.

You're NOT going to see 500RWHP running JUST a 2.93. You'll get close though... you will need to add a 4lb lower to the 2.93 in order to meet or exceed that magical 500 mark. Plus a lot depends on the port job. Definitely need to full Stage IV on all components.

U.M.

BlkOnBlk04Cobra said:
You're all making me feel pretty good about my plan. I'm looking, once all said and done, to be able to hold my own against the new Z06. Seems like that's all the Chevy guys ever talk about anymore.
Sorry to tell you that even at 500RWHP you won't be killing any of those new ZO6's unless the 'vette driver sucks. They are putting down around 490 with just a set of headers and they weigh a few hundred pounds less that we do. You better go for a KB + N2O if you're going to go out ZO6 huntin'.

U.M.

Watch this.... STOCK ZO6 vs 516RWHP Cobra (with some belt slip) but you get the idea....

http://www.03svtcobra.net/Videos/Ported03CobraVsC6Z06.wmv

...400, 500, 600 RWHP. Doesn't seem to matter much anymore. There'll always be someone faster. I can always take solice knowing that the owner of the Z06 paid $30K more than I did - :lol: Looks like I win after all.:D ...Saw the video (frankly - that's what I'm talking about as far as holding my own - that was far from anything that someone should be embarrased about) - so what can be done to prevent the belt slippage?:shrug: ...oh yeah - another opportunity for me to look stupid - What's the difference between a stage I / II /III/ or IV port ... Sorry - speak slowly for the mentally incapacitated Cobra owner.