Question about dumped exhaust...

smttysmth02gt

Have you seen my sig lately?
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 18, 2002
Gulf Coast
Will this increase or decrease my performance any? I know it'll sound better IMO. Louder and deeper, but a friend asked this question. I'm not sure either way so I thought I'd post it up.

• Sponsors (?)

I used to have them. i first got them on my stock h pipe and it sounded like crap. way too deep and muffled like a fart pipe on a ricer. when I changed the midpipe for an off road one, it sounded very mean and aggressive. almost identical to my friends 65 stang with the dumps. I did notice a slight decrees in low end, and the top end pretty much stayed the same.

Dope 97GT said:
dumped mufflers suck. i have them and all i get is dust all of the rear end. they sound really nice but i cant keep anything clean. after i drive down the road my car is filthy with dust.

Gravel roads?
This is the first I've ever heard of this problem--from a healthy running car, that is.

I lost a LOT of torque. I lost so much torque that I was dead even with a non-modified Honda Accord. After about 90 MPH you can see some performance. My 90 to 100 was a little bit faster feeling. Other than that I didn't think it was worth it. If I just want the sound for the day or two I just disconnect after the H pipe and pipe it down. That does the same thing.