Question about the turbo used n SVO's..

RedlineNSX

Jan 27, 2004
SLC
Im planning on throwing a couple turbos on my 88 5.0 and i have heard some positive things from people who have used the turbos from the svo's. Ive heard a lot of talk about different size (t3, t4, t5) and i was wondering which would work best for a twin set-up on a stock 302 block. (or which one to avoid). i know this is kinda vague but i appreciate your help :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

i would use one larger t4 or a holset (dodge diesel turbo) sized turbo, Twin Turbo setups are not very efficent and you will almost always do better with a single rather then a twin. Plus it simplifys practically every aspect of it

Dr.

If your planning on using a TT "junkyard" setup, i would look for the T3's off of some turbocoupes or svo's (less likely youll be finding a svo) Avoid the 87-88 turbocoupes which have the much smaller IHI turbo. The t3's have the sizes stamped into the housings......

what all do you have to do to be able to run a junkyard turbo set up on a 302, i have a 302 from my old lincoln mark VII and i just got done with a 87tc-91lx swap and i was thinking of throwing some turbo's on the 5.0

Thanks for the advice and website link!

Dr_EluSivE said:
i would use one larger t4 or a holset (dodge diesel turbo) sized turbo, Twin Turbo setups are not very efficent and you will almost always do better with a single rather then a twin. Plus it simplifys practically every aspect of it

Dr.
why do you say the TT set up is less efficient?

I would run twin turbos on a 5.0 for the cost and packaging benifits. It is much easier to rig up a twin setup on a 5.0 than to go with a single big turbo (V vs inline engine makes it easier for twins).
I would go with a pair of T3's. You want to avoid SVO parts because they were rare cars, and it is scareligous to part them out :p. I would look for a 60 trimT3 compressor with a .63 exhaust (but .48 would work too). They were plentiful on various turbo tbirds, merkurs, volvos, ect.
Some people use T3/4 hybrids or a single big compressor, but those are the people with enough money to buy new turbos. A twin T3 setup should be good for almost 600hp which is more than a 302 block will hold!