Question on valve size on GT40 heads?

fastimes69

Founding Member
Jun 27, 2001
San Benito, Texas
A buddy of mine is considering buying some GT40 cast iron heads (not p's) for cheap,that are ported and polished and have been upgraded to 2.02/1.60 valves. My question is will these heads have piston to valve clearance issues with this size of valves.These will be going on a 94 Cobra and I would like to know of any issues that may arise since I will be installing the heads for him.Thanks......

• Sponsors (?)

fastimes69 said:
A buddy of mine is considering buying some GT40 cast iron heads (not p's) for cheap,that are ported and polished and have been upgraded to 2.02/1.60 valves. My question is will these heads have piston to valve clearance issues with this size of valves.These will be going on a 94 Cobra and I would like to know of any issues that may arise since I will be installing the heads for him.Thanks......
Really, a 2.02 valve, I thought the biggest you could stuff in the gt40 irons was 1.94?
Hmm, don't know for sure, but I think they might be able to do it with a 1.54 exhaust valve and the 2.02.
If it is indeed a 2.02 valve you may have some clearance issues depending upon your cams duration and lift. Always perform a check for clearance when swaping cams and heads, no matter what. Everyones engine is a little defferent.

fidstang said:
Really, a 2.02 valve, I thought the biggest you could stuff in the gt40 irons was 1.94?
Hmm, don't know for sure, but I think they might be able to do it with a 1.54 exhaust valve and the 2.02.
If it is indeed a 2.02 valve you may have some clearance issues depending upon your cams duration and lift. Always perform a check for clearance when swaping cams and heads, no matter what. Everyones engine is a little defferent.

Well I have not seen the heads yet but that's what they told him are on there.I'll have to wait and see for myself.