Questions and asking advise.

Aw4g63

Sep 1, 2004
Well I've always wanted to pick up a old Mustang. I finally did.

69 Mustang Coupe, very solid, next to free. I'm selling my other "hobby" car and I'm putting all that money into this car. I'm truely excited about this project.

I'm 23. I've been building mutt cars and various other things for awhile now. Built plenty of 302s for efi Mustangs but never really messed with a carb powered Ford motor. I've done tons of body work and my friend and I split a 2000 sp foot shop for our projects.

This car was pulled in a week ago and I managed to find some time to pull the interior one night and clean out the trunk,pull the lights, bumper and anything the bolts on to the car from the dash back.

My friend claims the motor is a 302. I agreed as the title said so. Last night I yanked a valve cover to take a peek and I saw the numbers 289 on the heads. I really doubt the motor was ever touched as the original carb was siezed and dist cap, coil and everything are all original. Could it be a 289 motor?

Wierd. Also I couldn't read the tag on the rear end. I'm assuming it's a 8". But is it possible its a 9" that came stock? I heard that 8" rears taper down on the sides, this doesn't at all.

I'm really just a confused noobie that is taking everything one step at a time.

• Sponsors (?)

Aw4g63 said:
Well I've always wanted to pick up a old Mustang. I finally did.

69 Mustang Coupe, very solid, next to free. I'm selling my other "hobby" car and I'm putting all that money into this car. I'm truely excited about this project.

I'm 23. I've been building mutt cars and various other things for awhile now. Built plenty of 302s for efi Mustangs but never really messed with a carb powered Ford motor. I've done tons of body work and my friend and I split a 2000 sp foot shop for our projects.

This car was pulled in a week ago and I managed to find some time to pull the interior one night and clean out the trunk,pull the lights, bumper and anything the bolts on to the car from the dash back.

My friend claims the motor is a 302. I agreed as the title said so. Last night I yanked a valve cover to take a peek and I saw the numbers 289 on the heads. I really doubt the motor was ever touched as the original carb was siezed and dist cap, coil and everything are all original. Could it be a 289 motor?

Wierd. Also I couldn't read the tag on the rear end. I'm assuming it's a 8". But is it possible its a 9" that came stock? I heard that 8" rears taper down on the sides, this doesn't at all.

I'm really just a confused noobie that is taking everything one step at a time.

if the engine is original in a 69 it is a 302. The rear is an 8 inch if you can get a socket straight on the bottom carrier bolts. If you can't it's a 9"

the easy way to tell an 8" from a 9", from a 9 3/8" rear is, the 8" has smooth edges, where as the 9 and 9 3/8 rear have "scalloped" edges. the 9" you cannot get a socket and ratchet on the bottom bolts where as the 8" and the 9 3/8 you can.

as for the 289 in the head casting, most early 289 and 302 heads had the 289 cast in the head.