Questions and chit-chat

Skippy21

May 5, 2001
Richmond, VA
So, I was under the impression that the stock stang was electronically limited at 120mph but I know for a fact it can get up in excess of 130mph in 4th. Is the stock vehicle's top speed electronically limited at all? If so at what speed?

When I'm driving hard I'm usually shifting in the 4500 rpm range going from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th and I never really go out of 4th. Where does everyone else shift for all the gears? What rpm do you launch at?

Also I THINK this can be posted in this forum IF not please disregard but:

Are there any cars in the GT's price range that compete with it perfomance/racing wise? Whether it be street or drag racing? I know the 350Z is really quick BUT it also costs a good bit more than a Stang and for the price it better be faster. The GT seems to be in a class of its own somewhat price for performance.

i.e. A 2008 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V-6 6-Spd MT and a 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP Coupe are comparable to a GT in price and they both attempt to be a "sports" car but I have no doubt that a GT could easily handle either of these vehicles in a drag or street race.

Conversley, a GT can not compete with a Corvette or similar vehicle.

So, which group of cars both foreign and domestic would be in the GT Mustang's "weight class"?

AMERICA! :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

I really hate to say this but what about the WRX and the Lancer Evo. I would hate to say that they are in the same class but I guess they are kind of similar in price and power, not sure about weight. IMHO both have about as much appeal as a Yugo on steroids.

The WRX itself kinda sucks with 224 hp the STI model is impressive BUT it starts at over $34,000 which puts it outside the GT's class. I couldn't find and EVOs on the muchybushy web page. The Eclipse is what appears to be another overprice under achiever as well.

My whole argument to those who point out "WELL MY RISING SUN STI/EVO/G-niner could've had a V8 type R-diculous IS BLAH BLAH BLAH" ok well if I spent the extra $10,000 on my STARS AND STRIPES AMERICA! it would be ALOT faster than a STI infection.

Am I under estimating the said vehicles (eclipse, wrx [non-sti], g5, accord)? I haven't had any experience with these vehicles. I just know I played around with a couple 350Zs and they were tough on the ol' American Muscle Pride thing.

The Mustang GT is one of the best weight/power/$$$ cars offered today!
http://www.caranddriver.com/bestcars/10360/10best-cars-best-muscle-car.html
http://ask.cars.com/2007/08/fastest-under-3.html

I look at it this way. Sure there will always be those out there much faster than me, but I love the way the Mustang looks and performs(with the aftermarket)! I consider myself one of the loyal Muatang owners, not one who only buys the fastest hottest thing out at the time. This is my 4th V8 Mustang so I'm definitely on no bandwagon.

Those were good info links. No, I haven't heard of the Hyundai and I'll believe it when I see it lol. Their newer cars are pretty decent though. This is definately NOT a question of loyalty I only buy Ford or Ford owned and my Mustang is my dream car from high school. This is a kind of getting to know the enemy type discussion. Like I said the 350Z surprised the s*** out of me; I'm just trying to figure out what other cars you have to look out for on the street/strip.

Dont get too hung up on factory horsepower numbers..They can be decieving..The bottom line is what is faster in the quarter depends on the driver..Unless ur racing a vett against a stock stang for example..the next would be on the highway from a 40-60mph roll, suspension doesnt play as important a factor than racing from a dig....as far as handling goes..even stock and heavy, the s-197 is by far the best handing mustang ever off the assembly line..And you cant compare looks, the stang has got it hands down..Peak HP doesnt mean much IMO..Its how you use it and how the car behaves..

Dont get too hung up on factory horsepower numbers..They can be decieving..The bottom line is what is faster in the quarter depends on the driver..Unless ur racing a vett against a stock stang for example..the next would be on the highway from a 40-60mph roll, suspension doesnt play as important a factor than racing from a dig....as far as handling goes..even stock and heavy, the s-197 is by far the best handing mustang ever off the assembly line..And you cant compare looks, the stang has got it hands down..Peak HP doesnt mean much IMO..Its how you use it and how the car behaves..

That's what I was thinking, one of the mags at the stand was advertising the new Hyundai and stating it as a mustang beater. I was like hmmm interesting. I still believe the mustang will take it:D

That's what I was thinking, one of the mags at the stand was advertising the new Hyundai and stating it as a mustang beater. I was like hmmm interesting. I still believe the mustang will take it:D

A Hyundai as a Mustang beater:shrug: Maybe in power and performance. If they designed a car just for that purpose, it is very achievable. However, where it will never be a Mustang beater will be the more important factors...sales, aftermarket and brand loyalty:flag:

I checked it out. I commend them for building a RWD ricer. Other than, that all I can say is...nice color. I don't like anything about the body at all. What on Earth will companies come up with for that as far as body kits? It's already got pretty much everything done except for the 3' tall wings:rlaugh:

I think they were just trying sell there mag by putting mustang beater on there. If it does come out, I won't be surprised if someone put a 3' tall wing on there. Hyundai wanted to put a V8 in it but it wouldn't fit into the coupe, so they had to be content with a V6:rlaugh: