Ramchargers Dual Fan still exists?

• Sponsors (?)

Checked the new website... The ramcharger dual fan is nowhere to be found...

SO...

My Ramcharger dual fan is broke. It worked wonderfully and kept my Vortech'ed engine cool. I figured getting the same for compatibility sake. My knowledge of fans is rusty for i hadn't had to deal with is this issue in years.

What now would be a good choice of fan (except the Mark IV or VI)? Space in my engine is limited due to the s/c.

Flex-a-lites appear to be popular but last i checked, they didn't perform like Ramcharger did. How about SPAL? I need the slimline design.

Thanks a lot JWCMA! I'll be placing an order in the morning.

Yes... The Ramchargers dual-fan is great though i think the bearings in mine has worn out. Both fans are loose... you can actually wiggle them. When the fans are on, they vibrate like there's no end. Cooling is definitely affected.

No problem. Do you have any idea why the bearings went bad? How much use have you gotten out of them? Are they always on or do you use a switch of some kind?

I finally installed my new Fluidyne radiator & Ramchargers fan combo, although the fan isn't wired yet. The motor stayed right around thermostat temp (180*) as long as the car was moving. Stop signs weren't a problem, but it got up to high 180's if I stopped at a light for more than 30 seconds. I have a feeling the fans' low speed setting will be plenty to keep it cool.

JWCMA,

I only got about 2.5 - 3 years out the fan but it performed so well that i'm willing to get the same. I, too, have a Fluidyne radiator and i had to cut the mounting bars that sticks out from the side so that they are flush with the fans. No big deal.

I first had it wired so that i can turn the fans on manually. But after a ton of times of forgetting to turn them on (engine overheating) AND forgetting to turn them off (dead battery), i had it wired so that the "low" setting will always be on. I can go to the "high" setting manually via the switch.

The only times that i ever used the "high" setting was when i would forget to turn on the fan; the temperature gauge on the red! It's good to have that option, especially when it's a hot day.

I would wire yours the same I have mine - "Low" setting is on all the time while I have the option to use the "high" settings via the switch.

I'm not sure why the bearings went out after only a few years. At first, the fans would squeek but after a while they started to vibrate. I did nothing to them in terms of maintenance, however. Maybe i should oil my new fan every now and then?

I placed my order, this morning. The company that sells them appear to be prompt. I should receive my new fan in 3 days.

http://shop.smmenterprises.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=187489

I got the fan without the wiring harness. If the design is indeed the same as the Ramcharger, I can transfer the old harness over to the new unit.

Treachery, I can't wait to get the fan wired up. If I have the wiring figured out correctly, I will hook up the low speed to my digital temp control gauge. It's nice because I can set the turn-on temp to whatever I like, in one degree increments. I believe it turns off after reaching 3 degrees below the set temp.

Then, I plan on using a modded defrost switch (car didn't come with defrost) to either turn on the low speed (when set temp has not been reached yet) or high speed (if temp controller is already on).

Driving around for the first time without a belt fan was awesome. It felt like the throttle was reading your mind. I didn't think the throttle response could get any better, but it did!! It was also nice to be able to pop the hood with the motor running and hearing things I could never heard before, like the ps pump.

7-UP, thanks for the info. I bought the fan w/o the expensive harness, so I'd like to score the plug that fits the fan so I can remove it w/o cutting anything. Just last night, I figured out how to disassemble the plug so I could use spade terminals in case I can't find a 300m.

Still waiting for the fan... It will arrive tomorrow. God! Why can't DHL be any faster! :rolleyes:

It finally stopped raining in the Bay Area and my Mustang is grounded with no fan!

Arrrgh!

Do a search on 2001 dodge intrepid electric fan. The exact same fan as ramchargers comes up. Cost a little more though, around $145. I just switch to a Holcomb Motorsports dual 12 inch spal fan with aluminum shroud. Puts out about what the Ramchargers I had did no low. The fit is perfect though with no modifications needed.

are you guys running these fans with stock alternators? if so do you have any charging issues? i want to do electric fans but i want to keep the stock alternator as long as i can... the only accesories i am running is a few guages and an external fuel pump, no subs or amps or any of that nonsense

The fan arrives and it's indeed the Ramchargers fan. Installation was a matter of plug and play, for me.

I already have a Powermaster alternator (the Black model). I think it puts out 140A.. i could be mistaken.. BUT i do "feel" that my Mustang needs more power.. The car seems to feel weak during start ups, even when already warm.. especially during cold starts. I have to rev the engine at around 3000rpm for about a minute or else the motor will die. I had the car re-grounded a few months ago.

As for the DCC, i don't think it's necessary for my setup. The fan MUST be on at all times... even during it idle on a cold day. Heat from the s/c, i suppose.

I could be mistaken, of course.

Treachery, could you explain how the high/low speed wiring is laid out for this fan? I just installed mine but I could only get one speed to work. I have one relay connected to the green wire, another relay going to the yellow wire. Both black wires are tied to ground. Either relay will turn on the fan. I thought one relay (either one) by itself would turn on the low speed, and both relays would be high speed. However, when both relays are on, the speed of the fan is no different than with a single relay.

The fan cools great BTW. I just wish I could get both speeds to work, to make all that wiring I did worthwhile.