Really Green, I Was:

imp

Mustang Master
Jul 13, 2017
Early '90s. totally unaware of the changes made from late '80s, all I knew was that there was (aw, sh!t), no carburetor. Having rebuilt maybe a hundred Holley 4-bbls over the decades, I was befuddled. Having a little dying '78 Fiesta, I spotted a beautiful maroon Mustang, sitting on a Chevy dealer's used car lot! Talked to a salesman, he threw me the keys. Scared the wits out of my wife, this car w/5-speed was as quick as my tweeked '65 "K" car had been, 25 years earlier. We bought it. Year later, bought a '90, which had the first air bag. The '90 was hers to drive to work. The '89 I used as a starter to learn about EFI. Disconnected sensors one at a time, noting changes. Seemed reasonable enough to a guy who programmed PCs (Programmable Controllers) to run manufacturing plant production machines

Eventually I bought & installed a Whipplecharger. Had to hide the three-thousand bucks card charge from wife's view! Jesus, what performance! Only mitigating factor was the PCM "shut-off" at max rpms.

So, thinking back, I noted those cars had a round plastic ball, underhood, hooked to vacuum. A vacuum "reservoir", I figgered. Now I wonder, having gotten since then a '93 Cobra, and '94 GT now, I don't recall the vacuum thing on the Cobra, and the '94 SN-95 definitely has none.

Can someone clue me on this imponderable? imp

• Sponsors (?)