Rear Control Arms - adjusting wheel position in well (fwd-aft)

GT_Rich

Dec 11, 2005
North Canton, OH
I've been reading through posts about different upper/lower control arm setups, but I can't find the answer to this question:

"Adjustable" lower control arms adjust the ride height, correct? I was wondering if any company has a control arm that will allow me to center the wheel in the wheel well. On my GT, I have 1.25" inches from tire to back bumper, but about twice that from tire to the ground effect piece ahead of it.

Thanks,

• Sponsors (?)

No, you have it backwards.

Adjustable Lower Control Arms ALLOW you to locate the wheel from front to back. The setup is similar to an Adjustable Upper Control Arm except their not double adjustable meaning you have to unbolt it, spin it in or out , than bolt it back up.

Some manufacturers sell their control with an "Adjustable Spring Perch" meaning the ride height.

Any of the top names are the ones to go with. Do some searches on here to find out which ones you wanna go with. Trust me when I say, DON'T GO CHEAP HERE! You get what you pay for!!!

Hey, thanks for the reply. The reason I was confused on this was the description from MM's website:

The easy adjustment of MM's Adjustable Control Arms allows raising the rear ride height by up to 2 inches, or lowering it as much as 1 inch. A heavy-duty weight-jack bolt, similar to those used in NASCAR, makes this possible. The spring perch design allows easy ride height changes, with the car still on the ground. Road racers and autocrossers can set not only the ride height, but also corner weights, for optimum handling. A car can be fully loaded up with gear for a road trip, and then have the rear ride height adjusted back up to normal, to avoid bottoming out. These control arms are available with mounts for a factory-style rear swaybar, or without any swaybar mounts, for use with MM's Adjustable Rear Swaybar.

The MM Heavy-Duty Rear Lower Control Arms utilize specially designed 3-piece urethane bushings at the chassis end. These bushings have a hard center section to prevent fore and aft deflection, and softer outer sections to allow the angular motion necessary to prevent bind. This design, with softer outer urethane sections, prevents torque-box damage due to binding of the lower control arms. At the axle end, we use a high quality Teflon-lined spherical bearing to precisely locate the rear axle. Unlike the other bushing types listed above, a spherical bearing allows freedom of motion for both pivoting and angularity. As with our 3-piece urethane bushings, this freedom of motion improves handling over other styles of bushings, and prevents damage to chassis components.

So how is the forward-back adjustment made? The spring perch makes sense, but I just can't see how the control arms they picture get longer or shorter. Thanks!

Maximum motorsports makes killer products. Unfortunately they do not seem to offer a street car adjustable lower control arm. You will not get forward or rear motion out of thos heavy duty or extreme duty adjustable arms from MM. They only have height adjustment on perch. You may want to look into some other brans. If youa re running just a street car and dont go tthe strip and stuff you can look at AJE or even QA1 I beleive makes some. i agree with previous post about not going cheap. dont buy ebay knock offs because they are cheap. the true length adjustable will have a tie rod style end on the arm so you can spin it out and in to change how long the arm is. http://www.dndmotorsports.com/?page...category_id=49ae6d5bca26079ec902f1fec6ebf355&

Hey, thanks for the reply. The reason I was confused on this was the description from MM's website:

The easy adjustment of MM's Adjustable Control Arms allows raising the rear ride height by up to 2 inches, or lowering it as much as 1 inch. A heavy-duty weight-jack bolt, similar to those used in NASCAR, makes this possible. The spring perch design allows easy ride height changes, with the car still on the ground. Road racers and autocrossers can set not only the ride height, but also corner weights, for optimum handling. A car can be fully loaded up with gear for a road trip, and then have the rear ride height adjusted back up to normal, to avoid bottoming out. These control arms are available with mounts for a factory-style rear swaybar, or without any swaybar mounts, for use with MM's Adjustable Rear Swaybar.

The MM Heavy-Duty Rear Lower Control Arms utilize specially designed 3-piece urethane bushings at the chassis end. These bushings have a hard center section to prevent fore and aft deflection, and softer outer sections to allow the angular motion necessary to prevent bind. This design, with softer outer urethane sections, prevents torque-box damage due to binding of the lower control arms. At the axle end, we use a high quality Teflon-lined spherical bearing to precisely locate the rear axle. Unlike the other bushing types listed above, a spherical bearing allows freedom of motion for both pivoting and angularity. As with our 3-piece urethane bushings, this freedom of motion improves handling over other styles of bushings, and prevents damage to chassis components.

So how is the forward-back adjustment made? The spring perch makes sense, but I just can't see how the control arms they picture get longer or shorter. Thanks!

i'm curious also.