Rear Drum Brake Help - Self Adjusting Cable...

TheUser

Jul 25, 2003
Springfield, MO
I've spent the last 3 hours trying to get one side of my brakes done with no success. It seems as the current problem is getting the self adjusting cable on. The little bracket that fits into the shoe that the cable goes around, it keeps falling out. I tried to "expand" the edges so it would maybe stay in the shoe better, but that didn't work, so I went and bought a self adjusting cable kit w/ new adjuster, cable and the little metal bracket thing..they won't stay in either. Is there a secret to this? I know there has to be a way to do it

• Sponsors (?)

to help others that maybe are reading this post for advise...I ended up putting the spring on to hold that metal bracket thing on there...I put the adjusting cable on first, then the spring and then pulled the cable around the bracket, pushed the metal thing that the actual adjuster moves up onto the top of the adjuster gear and held it while I attached the cable into it....the other side only took me 20 min :D I knew once I figured it out, I'd be able to do it quickly :nice: It was actually my moms idea to put the spring on first :hail2: