Rear Hatch

VisChaos

Jun 25, 2005
I'm in Noblesville, Indiana and I'm looking for a rust free hatch with wing for an 87. I'd like a GT wing, but it doesn't really matter.
Anyone close to me got any ideas?
Thank you

• Sponsors (?)

Wish I knew of one, I am only about 3 hrs from Noblesville, but I'm in Illinois. Check out the local junkyards in your area. Surely there is a big recycler in the Indianapolis area. Good Luck:nice:

Well it's good at last to see there are some some people from the Indy area on here. I have a notch so I'm not sure about the hatch backs. There should be something here in town though. There are a couple here on the west side. Don't know the names but the phoen book does. If you find one on this side of town and you want me to go look at it before you drove over here let me know.

Vince

Thanx for the help, any will be greatly appreciated.
I tried Pierce on 31, but they are not helpful at all.
I went there looking for a Volvo turbo and cooler and "they didn't have any".
Funny thing is I found one about 20 yards from the front door. Upon asking how much they wanted for it, I got (in a tone as if it was killing him to think)... $150.
I also went across the street to Dads, but they don't have any older mustangs.

4stanger you have to tell me how you did your body work. It looks great.
I went to a shop this past week ant they quoted me "full body work and paint job " $6100. I've decided to do the body work myself, but I'm not 100% sure on how to do it right.

Well the body work started out of boredom. I live in an apt and can't do too much outside, besides it's cold. I removed the trunk lid, hood and fender (one at a time) and brought them in the house.First I took off all the hardware and cleaned and painted it. I took a scotch pad attachment that fits in the drill and got all the rust off. I have a electric orbital sander that uses "loop and hook" pads and used an 80 grit. What paint that is left on the decks is peeling so I took it down to almost bare metal. Used putty or bondo when needed. I wet sanded it with 600 grit to get everything smooth. I washed it with soap and water, then wiped it with mineral spirits/paint thinner. The underside of the hood and trunk lid I sprayed with splatter paint from Auto Zone. The primer is rattle can also (cringe) I sprayed it on pretty thick and when I was done I wet sanded again to remove the over spray, using the 600 grit again. I plan in moving in the next few months and I'll get the air compressor going and finish. I've never painted a car before but this is a hobby/project so I am going to give it a whirl. I do plan on resanding the primed area and shooting a primer over the whole car. When I had the fender off the apt people threatened to tow the car off. I understand where they are coming from. If you have any questions please ask
vince

Here's the stuff I used, You can get all at your local Wal mart. I hope the pics make it. I've never tried to put a pic in.

Attachments

• Mediawebserver.jpg
    Mediawebserver.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 7490-01.jpg
    7490-01.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 79
Sounds good to me.
I went and bought the 3m disk, I'm gonna give this bodywork thing a try Sun.
Is yours still a daily driver? Wondering about how long it takes to do the body one panel at a time? I mean there's no major down time right?

No mine is not a daily driver, it was untill last year. The time it takes depends on the condition of the car. Mine has a lot of surface rust on the decks that has to come off. The whole car was repainted at some point and the paint is peeling off, so I'm sanding way down almost to bare metal. It really dosen't take that long, there is no real down time. You don't have to take the parts off, I did because of my Apartment rules. I suggest using good materals though. I used the Rustoleum quick dry Auto primer, and I got a trigger attachment that fits over the sprayer. It makes is much easier and I seem to have more controll. One thing to remember when using rattle can primer, the paint goes on much thinner than when using a paint gun. I think the paint gut puts on a 1.5 mil coat and the rattle can only puts on a .5mil coat. So I put a few extra coats on. I'll send you a PM with my phone no in case you have any questions. Take some pic and share them with us.
Vince