rear main seal

blkstangman88

Apr 6, 2004
is there a certain way to install the rear main seal? i installed one, make it flush with the steel like the shops told me and a week after installing it i have an oil leak again!!!! i cleans the whole and rubbed oil on the seal b4 insertion aswell, am i missing somthing?

• Sponsors (?)

no, sealant won't work there because of the movement of the input shaft.
i've always installed mine using a flat body hammer gently tapping it in all the way around. mine have always leaked on both of my mustangs, i've just kind of accepted it. mine's not too bad though, i usually only have a drop or two on the bottom of the bellhousing.

i just notcied my old engine had a small leak (302) and just installed a new rear main seal on the 347 but haven't tested it yet. Your susposedly susposed to use a special insterion tool so the seal is spaced the proper distance from the block otherwise the seal will wear and leak thats the general problem, no one uses the right tool and it leaks, but I somewhat do the same thing cause im not forking over 120 bucks for a ford rear main seal insterion tool just to install a seal one time.