Remote Entry/Alarm Wiring Questions

criticman

Sep 7, 2003
Rome, GA
Okay, so I need some help wiring a keyless entry/alarm system I just bought.

Anyone have a link to good instructions, wiring diagrams, or able to tell me where all of the following wires are?

See the wiring diagram (generic, not Mustang specific sadly) in the attached JPEG.

Thanks!

Attachments

• alarm_wiring.jpg
    alarm_wiring.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 5,473
  • Sponsors (?)

Try www.bulldogsecurity.com I installed one of their keyless entry/alarm kits on my wife's 87 t-top GT easily enough. It even has a remote hatch release. Kinda nice really and the instructions/diagrams were easy enough to follow. It tells you what color wire to look for and where to look for it. Let me know if you need anything else, the install job is still somewhat fresh in my mind if you know what I mean. :nice:

Bringing this back up because I am FINALLY installing the damn alarm. Where are the wires for the door locks? I have seen that it is in the driver kick panel, at the top. Which wires though? The diagram in my original post still applies.

Found the answer to wiring location question: http://www.directwholesale.net/diagrams/printpage.asp?ModelID=14812&MakeID=18

Still need clarification on the power door lock/unlock. From the main system module, there is a positive and a negative wire for the power lock controls. I remember reading that our locks are reverse polarity. So, my question is, what color wire do I hook up the positive wire (from the alarm) to and what color wire do I hook up the negative (alarm) wire to?

Thanks.

you need to cut your factory door lock wires and use relays to make the locks work. This is a 5 wire setup, it can be accomplished with part number dei 451m, or you can use two relays and make your own. Do a search on 5 wire door locks and you should be able to find a diagram fairly easy.

I guess I am just not seeing why I need it. Could you explain? The keyless entry/alarm control box has two wires from the harness...one for "Positive Door Switch" and one for "Negative Door Switch".

According to this wiring sheet: http://www.directwholesale.net/diagrams/printpage.asp?ModelID=14812&MakeID=18

...there are two wires to connect to:
POWER UNLOCK: PINK/YELLOW (TYPE C)
POWER LOCK: PINK/LIGHT GREEN (TYPE C)

So, my question is does this diagram assume you are wiring the relay to these wires?

Or is it indeed possible to hook up the alarm wires directly to the wires listed above?

And, for reference, the POWER UNLOCK wire is the positive OR negative one?

If your keyless brain does not have 'onboard' relays, you need the relays. I wired the fox with two SPDT relays and used a 451M on the 94 - the 451M is cleaner, though both work the same.

If you have doubts, use relays so you dont overload the brain.

The negative wire nomenclature (to me) refers more to an aftermarket install in a car with factory keyless (where one uses a neg pulse to the factory keyless brain's lock and unlock wires).

Good luck.

I got mine (451) from ebay. I got lucky and found a guy who was selling one who lived about 20 miles from me. He sent it out the day I won it.

Otherwise, you can use the two SPDT's - an audio shop will have those. The two methods function exactly the same. I would just use SPDT's if you wanna get this done ASAP. You stick them behind the kick panel anyhow, so aesthetics are not an issue.

Good luck.

Alright, pardon my ignorance, but what do SPDT relays look like and would somewhere other than an audio shop (like a auto parts shop or Radioshack) have them in stock? The audio shops here are pretty shady and have some wierd hours.

criticman said:
Alright, pardon my ignorance, but what do SPDT relays look like and would somewhere other than an audio shop (like a auto parts shop or Radioshack) have them in stock? The audio shops here are pretty shady and have some wierd hours.
Here is a pic of a Bosch SPDT relay. I would note that SPST relays look very similar, and some of the ones at parts stores (i.e. for driving lights) will have two 87 terminals, one of which is in the 87A location on an SPDT. These will NOT work for your application (you need the SPDT - single pole double throw relay). Look for an 87A terminal on the back (the 87A is what is important and differentiates them).

Radio Shack should have them, I bet; I just have never bought them there. That would be my first call or stop though, locally.

If they have relay sockets too (like this ). It's not necessary but is a little cleaner IMHO.

Good luck.

I cheated on my alarm. I just paid Circuit City to install the python keyless entry/alarm. All those relays and which wire to hook to, scared me a bit. I am sure I could find all the wires, but I'm not sure how all my spaghetti would look :D

Thanks for showing that relay plug in. I didn't know that those were available. I have used relays before, but just used female connecters.

Alright, that makes sense. Thanks for the details and the pic. I will try RadioShack in the morning.

Now that I know what I need to buy...how the heck do I use them, LOL?

As stated, I know which wires are which. How does one use these relays? (Sorry, but I am VERY new to electrical wiring as I am sure you can tell). If you could explain where each wire hooks to the relay (and which wires need to be spliced, etc), that would be awesome. Maybe someone has a pic of this or diagram?

Here is some info that might help.

Be sure to post up if you get stuck - some of us are very conversant with relays and tinkering with them to do cool stuff.

EDIT: I was beat to the punch. :nice: