Removing airbag/steering wheel

godM0d3

Jul 24, 2007
Cookeville, TN
I have a '90 LX and I'm starting to strip down the interior. I was removing the wheel (according to the shop manual) and removed three of the nuts holding on the airbag. Now I find the fourth one is stripped and I cant get it off. Is it possible to get the wheel off without removing the airbag first, or am I going to have to do something dangerous to remove the airbag?

• Sponsors (?)

The bolt that you need to remove to get the steering wheel off is under the airbag. I know the clearance is tight, but maybe you can fit a small socket that you use to remove stripped bolts (I think Sears sells sockets called "bolt-out" or something similar).

WES

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!

Mustangs have a battery backup under the glove department for the airbag that can last up to ½ an hour after the battery is disconnected. You can get what is called a turbo socket at autozone that will help you get the bolt out. SERIOUSLY wait a ½ an hour AFTER the battery is disconnected to prevent a tool expolding into your face. One way or another you will have to get that bolt out to remove the wheel otherwise you won't get the puller in there.
Hope this helps-Jeff

287K and rising:)