Rims and tire question

So i went to a local shop yesterday; i was looking for the incubus shylock's.
IA%20705.jpg

The guy there claimed to be the fitment manager of overhaulin' and differed me from the shylocks. He said that chrome sucks, its been known to become bronze after 90 days... the shylocks are 180 a wheel.
so then i asked him about the foose nitrous legends that he had on the rack, he said 1100 for the rims alone.. :eek: now compared to online prices that i've seen that was pretty cheap. So i bought em.
Nitrous-Legend-M.jpg

He recommended me getting hankook tires on em.

the question that i'm asking is has anyone heard bad things about the shylocks, or about hankook tires?

also, i ended up getting 17x7s, he recommended staggering em (7s in the front and 8s in the back), or getting 8s all round. is there a noticeable visual difference? i picked all 7s cause i want to be able to rotate the tires.

And a question for all those foose rim owners out there, how's the rim? like chrome wise, is it still holding up? he only gives a 1 year warranty on it, my dad was kinda worried why it was only one year.

TIA

• Sponsors (?)

the 8" will have a deeper lip. The chrome is only as good as the place that does it. Chrome should last about 5+ years and if its kept indoors even longer. Hankook tires are as good as the the other off brands like Sumitomo,Kumho etc. You will not notice any performance differnece over a BFG or Toyo.I would check with Foose or MHT for THEIR warranty.

They're 17x7s with 215 HanKook tires wrapped around em. I am having rubbing issues when i go over bumps, but guy who installed the rims said i need to think about redoing the front end, he said hte bushings on the front right are shot.. anyone want to enlighten me on this and maybe the signs? The guy seems really cool but he still doesn't have my trust just yet. He works for overhaulin as previously mentioned but some of the comments he makes... i dunno

Here are some pics he took of it:

125_lg.jpg

124_lg.jpg

123_lg.jpg

122_lg.jpg

Eh. I'm not sure, the rubbing never happened when i was driving, my dad claims he hears it though (i highly doubt it, even with the old tires, when i went over a bump you could hear the the front shocks or something up there go thump thump [I think he's just not used to a bigger tire look] ) . I can't find any damage on the fender lips and i think they sit just fine. The top of the tire is just inside the end of the fender lip...

When he ordered it, he ordered a 4.5 in backspace... he said thats usually what mustangs get. and on dodgestang's chart it checks out, #62. one person is running 215 on the front stock drums and suspension like me, without any issues. I tried to measure the backspace (it was a very rough attempt, a small piece of cardboard with a measuring tape (those flexible ones) taped on, and another piece of cardboard to draw to act as a line for the end of the rim. It was not less than 4.5

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

Marlon at fly ford runs 275s on 17s in the back and has no rub (forget his fronts, think they're 225), without any major fender rolling (or any mods to the rearend housing). I saw his car rolling down the freeway yesterday, was a good sight to see. :)

But yeah, 215s shouldn't rub with the right offset. But don't fret, I messed up and got the wrong offset with my 15s too. Fender rolling and a rear sway bar fixed the issue for now.

Marlon at fly ford runs 275s on 17s in the back and has no rub (forget his fronts, think they're 225), without any major fender rolling (or any mods to the rearend housing)
Been running that size for 2 years now

Suki, if you dont see any rubbing on the fender, maybe the front end is a little soft and when compresses durring a turn might be the only time it rubs.

Either way, car is comming along nicely:nice:

thanks for the compliments; yah, it might be a little soft, right now i'm soo happy with the look.
I'll do some more research on front ends and start saving up for it.

anyone know the size of the clips that hold on the mustang emblem on the side front fender? mustangsplus has 3 sizes =\

So i drove it around this weekend (before i messed it up [another thread]) and it was great! I went on a 60 mile drive it was fine, on the way back on the freeway i hit an unexpected bump. I heard a pop kinda sound. Came home, inspected it, the tires rubbed.

So, i'm guessing the shocks are shot. when i replace em, i think i'm gonna raise the front a little, just to be on the safe side. Or should i roll the inner fenders?

P.s. the rub was on the way inside of the fender well

4 1/2 inch backspacing on front?

I`ve got 17 inch American Racing torque thrust with 4 inch bs. My wheel is so close to the upper control arm, the the end of the arm actually cut a groove into the wheel weight inside the wheel.

What I`m saying is, I cant understand for the life of me, how do you get another 1/2 inch of room where I only have 1/4? (if even that much)

If I had 4 1/2 inch backspacing, the wheel would be touching the a frame arm I think.

I know a bunch of you guys are doing this, but am I missing something here?

BTW Suki, I HAD rubbing issues till I rebuilt my front end, top of the fender above the front wheels. Did the shelby drop, granada disks, and opentracker everything else, and its fine now.

So i drove it around this weekend (before i messed it up [another thread]) and it was great! I went on a 60 mile drive it was fine, on the way back on the freeway i hit an unexpected bump. I heard a pop kinda sound. Came home, inspected it, the tires rubbed.

So, i'm guessing the shocks are shot. when i replace em, i think i'm gonna raise the front a little, just to be on the safe side. Or should i roll the inner fenders?

P.s. the rub was on the way inside of the fender well

I would just roll the inner fenders. Shocks aren't gonna make a difference really (i mean, if they're shot replace them, but ride height is gonna depend on springs about 100 times more than shocks). I don't think that will help much, if at all.

You can rent a fender roller from eastwood and a bunch of places on ebay for $75-100 (plus a refundable deposit). Its pretty easy to do and will probably solve your issue.

You can treat the symptom (roll the lip) or fix the problem (replace the springs). If it were me, I would spend the $100 you would spend on the fender roller rental and buy new springs. Hell, I think they are actually about $90 so you will be ahead of the game. Car is coming along nicely btw!

Posted via Mobile Device