ring and pinion gear

snakeeyes1387

Feb 22, 2006
I am looking at changing out my rear end as well as the pinion gear. Now i was looking at them all and I am not sure what to go with. Also I have a sort of stupid question, the ring a pinion gear is it a limiter or a multiplier? As in a 4.10 gear for every one turn of the axle do the wheels turn 4.10 times or for every 4.10 turns of the axle do the wheels turn once. I currently run about 300hp. Later this year however I am going to be dropping in a 347 stoker at 410hp or a 408 stoker at 450+hp. I have had the 4.10 gear recommended to me. If the gear is a multiplier that makes sense to get the most power from the engine, however if it is a limiter then there is no reason to go with a higher gear and to only go with a low 3 gear.
Thanks for the help in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

Grn92LX said:
No. 4.10 turns of the driveshaft for 1 turn of the wheel.
:nice:

The more power you are looking to make, then the steeper gear = more ideal (numerically lower number). No since in having 4.10's in a vehicle with 450 hp. Set your goals first and stick with them; i'ts like setting a car up for N/A only to turn to the forced induction crowd.

If your planning on over 400hp, then I would not go with so much gear. You'd be better off with 3.27's and 400hp!

The gear ratio is 4.10:1 - as in 4.1 rotations of the driveshaft will turn the tires 1 full rotation.

Mavrick said:
If your planning on over 400hp, then I would not go with so much gear. You'd be better off with 3.27's and 400hp!

No. If he has a 450hp n/a combo, gear the car for the powerband. My car should do near 400rwhp and a 3.27 gear would severly slow it down. I had to swap from 3.73's to 4.30's to gear it accordingly.

Mavrick said:
If all you care about is 1/4 mile times, then you are probably right. For a street car, i'd personally want a longer gear than 4.30's!

I understand. I geared my car for the powerband. This is a 100% street car. What I was saying is if you build a high powered n/a engine that makes good power up top and you do not gear it properly, it WILL be a turd. My 4.30's are amazing on the street. Perfectly streetable gear. I am not saying for anyone to get them, but if thats the gear you need for your powerband, go for it. My old 3.73's just didn't cut it.

ok cool thanks for the help, this car is going to be daily driven and taken to the track occasionally. It is a manual and I know the transmission ratios also have a lot to do with the same stuff. I guess there is no perfect answer just try out a gear see how it feels according to what I want in the car and then go with it. Overall like any other I want the max performance out of the car but with decent shift speeds unlike the stock setup, that has you shifting way to early to keep up with many pony/sport cars due to their better gearing. Thanks anyway everyone, it's much appreciated.