ROAD TRIP!

cjwillwin

May 9, 2011
I'm planning a road trip for June and I have a 1997 Mustang GT with about 120k miles

Is this too old to drive the trip? The distance is about 1200 miles round trip (san francisco to Phoenix).

Before we go I'll be changing oil and coolant. I will also have a new clutch.

I don't see it as a problem and most that I've talked to don't think itwill be, but my mom insists my car will break down before i get there.

• Sponsors (?)

The truth is I wasn't concerned about it at all, but at all the times that my parents bring it up they talk about how they wouldn't be able to help me if the car died. They say they know I can't fix it.

Is it that much different than daily driving? I would think the highway driving would be better, but my parents are freaking out about it.

The clutch should be done tomorrow and the trip isn't til mid June. I'll hopefully be changing the oil and the coolant sometime this week and next.

If my friend can drive I would have no problems with that and would probably actually prefer it.

Where would I get a compression test done at? Would most mechanics do it? Would any of them do it free?

I wouldn't worry about it unless you have lapsed on maintenance issues. The furthest I ever drove my stang without stopping was 400 miles and it started to be uncomfortable for me, just keep that in mind too. You could always do it in parts as well, break up the trip which is what I would do. That way you get to enjoy the trip and see more than just the highway.

As long as the car is in good overall condition and you don't drive the hell out of it on a regular basis, you shouldn't have an issue.

The 4.6L SOHC, although not the toughest on the block has a rep for great longevity. I've seen engines with twice the mileage on them that yours has still run well and at most use a little oil. If the engine is running well and the trans is still shifting smoothly, then I wouldn't think twice about it.

That being said....I wouldn't be performing an big road trips without a few hundred dollars stashed away in case of emergencies. I don't care how new, or well cared for the car I drove was.

I can stash away a few hundred butwouldn't most problems cost more than that to fix? Anyways I'm becoming less and less nervous.

I haven't had the car for very long, bought it 3 months ago. The guy I bought it from seemed to take good care of it but you never really know. He did a lot of his own work and recently changed the clutch, but it needs a new one because he done screwed it up, so I don't know how reliable his maintinence was.

Driving that many miles in one shot is much less stress on your engine than that many miles in small spurts all stretched out over a long period of time. I'd worry less about the engine, and put more thought into the condition of your tires, suspension, joints, etc.

My brother has a 2002 f150 with 300k+ and took a 1000 mile trip with no troubles. Really if like what other people have been saying above, if your car is in good running condition, has good tires, and has had regular maintenance than I don't see any reason why the stang couldn't go for a road trip.

If your car has trouble starting... that would disqualify it from being a good road trip car.