Roller conversion!!!

Euphoric306

Apr 5, 2004
hey, i dunno much about this subject, but i found a part (more like a kit) that said it has everything thats needed to convert a non-roller block into a roller lifter block with hydro roller cam. it showed a picture and it had the spider(something) forgot the ****en name...... and 8(i think) little clip things?. id have to buy the cam and the lifters, probably some hardened pushrods for the afr165s im getting someday and definitely some stud or pedestal mount rocker arms right? my rail mounted ones wont do much good. anyway... the whole kit was 49.99 and then like 250 for a cam and 200 for the lifters, like 160 for the rocker arms... my question is......

has anyone done anything like this? there was a post about this and they said you would have to drill your block to put in the bolts for the spider brace thing. any advice is appreciated, thanks

• Sponsors (?)

You would have to drill holes in the block because it bolts to the cam valley.
I don't like that idea because it is already thin there and it does need holes and bolts going through it.Later motors have raised sections in the valley bottom for added strength.I would just spend the extra 120 buck and get a good crane set witch are better than the stock Ford ones anyhow.

You also need to be careful which block you're starting with. Some of the older 302 blocks have a lifter bore height that is incompatible with the spyder/dog bones roller mechanism. You might be just as well off when all is said and done simply using the appropriate linked roller lifters for your block.

I just looked the Crane lifters up and came up with part number CRN-36532-16.
From Summit Racing the lifters alone are 419.95. That seems expensive to me since you have to add a camshaft and special lenght pushrods to go with them.

dont do it its a waistof time unless the holes are there for the kit.If not this is what your looking at drill and tap the lifter valley and you cn use stock spider and dog bones roller lifter.but when going that way your choice of cam is restriced because the lifter valleys were smaller in the non roller blocks.so you will have you use a reduced circle cam so the lifters wont pop out the valleys. and those cams are very limted in choice

sencond choice is buy the compcams linked rollers for 4 somthing and buy harden push rods in my oppoin is not worth it for the money.

Or if you wana go to the extreme you can bring the block to a machine shop an have them bore the lifter valleys out insert brass/steel tubes so the lifters valleys are the correct hight

to do all that you must realy love that block