Rookie Performance Questions

Young_gt

Aug 26, 2017
So I am rebuilding my 1989 mustang gt's engine (gasket rebuild) after a blown head gasket but I also want to add some goodies to it. I was planning on new intake manifolds and cam but I am very confused on where to look and how to match them and things to that extent. I had my eye on a ford perf f303 cam but I don't know how to match anything or what all I should actually do to get some better performance out of my engine. I'm 17 and have some money to use but I prefer to keep it on the mid to cheap price wise. The car is mostly stock except for full exhaust and I planned on keeping the stock heads. Anything will help.

• Sponsors (?)

Let me be the first to welcome you here, first checkout the 5.0 tech/how to section, there is thread there for salvage yard swaps/parts.
Don't plan anything around those stock heads, they are not worth spending any money on and the f cam is ancient history, better technologies on the shelf now. Depending on your plans for the car as to what advice you'll get.

ok. here are my questions to you
what is your budget
are you going to do the work yourself
is this your daily driver
what is done so far to your car- engine, transmission, rear end, cooling, etc

If you plan on keeping the stock E7 heads there is really little performance gains with an intake or cam. Plus you will need to change the valve springs on the heads with any aftermarket cam. A tried and true "budget" build is to find a 93-96 V8 explorer and take the throttle body, intake and heads. That is essentially a GT40 top end that came on the Mustang in 93 except for the injectors and 1.7 rockers. Get an Anderson N41 cam, a set of Alex's springs,, have the heads magnafluxed, milled, and new valve guides. Use Felpro 9333PT1 head gaskets and ARP head bolts, The intake is the same as the GT40 for flow rate. You can make the 65MM throttle body off the Explorer work by flipping the linkage around. You can re use your existing 19# injectors.. Get a 94-95 Mustang GT 70 MM mass air.. Also, get a new Ford Motorsport or Crane doube roller timing chain set. Get a set of Felpro 1250S3 intake gaskets and the Explorer upper to lower plenum gasket. For headers, get a set of used FMS shorty headers. I would also replace the stock balancer with a Pioneer SFI balancer. I would also get a new set of lifters, and you will need new proper length pushrods. You can keep your eixisting rockers if you want, but you can find a good used FMS or Crane set for around $100.. All in all this will cost you around $1500 if you are a good bargain shopper. Expect around 260-270 rwhp,, which is up fom your 190-200 rwhp stock setup.

Reactions: 1 user