Running at 185* with 160 thermostat?

daddystang

Aug 13, 2006
Need a little help guys. It's about 100* here today in MD, and I just installed a 160 Mr. Gasket thermostat. I had a 180 in, and it ran around 180-185 all day so I thought I'd try a 160. I like things to run a little cooler, but even with the 160 in it the temp still goes to 180-185. When I'm driving it's around 180, and when I come to a stop and sit for a while it goes to 185. I know these aren't bad temps respectively, but I'm curious why I can't get it to go down any. My son and I were just out driving it, and we stopped at a big hill, and burped the system four times until it didn't go down anymore. My DCC fan seems to be working well. Could this be a radiator issue? It's a three row from 50resto that worked well with the stock motor about two years ago. This has been a 180* issue since the new motor has been in the car. Does higher compresession make a car generally run 20 degrees warmer? Any help or insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Joe

• Sponsors (?)

even if you ran with no stat, if your cooling system can only pull enough heat to keep you in the 180/185 range, that's it. If it were my car, based on your mods, I'd be happy with those numbers idling in 100* weather. Your pulleys jump out at me as the reason why you can't get it to run cooler, you aren't moving the water through the system fast enough.

Do you think it could be the pulleys? The water pump pulley is an overdrive not underdrive pulley, but I know what you are saying the numbers aren't too bad. It's just strange that I change the stat, and the temp doesn't change. It's got to be something causing it. Thanks.

Here's a question I want to throw out there and see what you guys think, and this may be way off, but I'm just brain storming. What if the three row radiator is too thick for the fan to draw enough air through to cool the coolant in it. What if I were to try a thinner two row radiator. Would the fan then be able to draw more air through it, and cool it better. I don't know. Has anyone out there tried that before?

Why is 180* an issue?? EFI cars generally run more efficiently in the 180-210 degree range. The running cool trick is more of a left-over trick from the carb-era days. In fact, running below 180 can cause premature wear and sludging in an EFI engine.

I run 188* with a 180 t-stat...that's about as cool as i dare run.

180 is a good temp, I agree. I would just prefer to run a little cooler, and I was concerned why the operating temp didn't change after I changed thermostats. I had a 160* stat in this car with the stock motor, and it ran great at 160, and my previous mustang did the same. I guess I just got comfortable running at that temp. I do appreciate the feedback. Does anyone have any thoughts on switching radiators idea. I called Autozone. They have 1row for $98. I've been doing some searching on here, and a lot of people have had good luck with their radiators, but do you guys think that's where my problem is? Thanks again in advance.

Joe

Here's a question I want to throw out there and see what you guys think, and this may be way off, but I'm just brain storming. What if the three row radiator is too thick for the fan to draw enough air through to cool the coolant in it. What if I were to try a thinner two row radiator. Would the fan then be able to draw more air through it, and cool it better. I don't know. Has anyone out there tried that before?

Nope...... how would decreasing the "contact" area used for heat dissipation of the coolant improve cooling? ...... BTW, you don't have a "problem" that needs to be fixed.

I agree that running solid at 180* in 100* ambient temps is good. That's just the equilibrium point with respect to the operating vs ambient temp delta. I'd not start to think about it till you run at 200*ish (with your alum heads and wanting some remaining fudge factor).

The thoughts about the extra thickness of the coil is sound but we generally don't consider the thicker radiator to have diminishing returns. In other words, I'd not downgrade to a thinner radiator. If you do decide to change rad's, compare fins per area as I think that's important.

Alright guys thanks I think you have convinced me. I'll leave well enough alone, and consider 180 my operating temperature. Thanks for putting this old guys mind at ease. Well maybe not too old....