Roush S-351 questions

94_302

Founding Member
Sep 2, 2002
Miami
How much would a 95 saleen s-351 coupe go for it has low miles around 15k or so. Is there a chart breakdown of saleens by color? What is the difference in the R and the regular s-351. I saw a 95 s-351 with a vortech blower and he said it had a carbon figer hood as well. However it did not have the double spoiler. How much would a vert be worth? Did the make a vert in the R code? Thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

Well some basic differences are that the s-351 naturally aspirated had a 350hp 400? tq rated 5.8. Came with recaros, 5spd and i think the 13in brakes. The s351r had the vortech rated around 500 i have seen up to 510 hp, someone will correct me I am sure. Some that i have seen for sale had basic roll cage installed in the back sorta similar to the 89ssc. Best part of that car was the 6 speed . Same basic suspension options from saleen. Wheels and tires were 245/??/18 up front and 275/??18 outback. Others here will add more to what I have said. The colors were all standard mustang i believe, with the addition of the extreme rainbow, which was a 10 grand option.

Yep.
There you go. Yellow99saleen has with some of the info. 94_302, I bet you are inquiring about the black one on e-bay right now. ??? Looks like a nice car.
Anyway, the normally aspirated S-351's made around 370 hp. The R-code package would include the Vortech S-trim blower 495 hp , 13" Saleen/Alcon front brakes and twin gauge pod. The other option list could also include the 2 point chassis upgrade, Saleen/Recaro leather interior, carbon fiber hood, Speedline magnesium wheel upgrade, aluminum race pedals, tire upgrade, 3.55 richmond gear set, auburn traction loc carrier, Saleen dif. cover and Saleen aluminum driveshaft. Very few cars came from the factory with the dual plane wing. Mine does not have. Also the 95's did not have the 6 speed (damn) That came later as standard equipment. Oh yea, a few of the newer cars were rated at 510 hp. ( a little optimistic ) this is at the crank remember, but that is what they were advertised as such. You can easily make a lot more power with this car but for how long is the question.
There were only 173 S-351 coupes and 124 verts ever made. You could seriously pay any where around 30-42K for a really clean 95-98 R-code. Maybe less. Maybe a little less for a N/A car. You will still pay alot more for a 99 S-351 mainly beacuse it is the new body style. If you are lucky you could find a 2000 car. For the record 99' was the last year S-351's were produced because Saleen lost their emissions cert. on this particular model and the last few cars were delivered in early 2000 as 2000 model year cars. I have seen a couple over the last year listed around 50-52K.
Sounds like a nice laundry list of options above??? The car I own has all of those items. I have the build sheet and window sticker. and a jaw dropping $55,000 price tag from 1995 also. (out the door for 60K.) I paid significantly less for mine used. My car has 4,600 miles on it.
If you are talking about that car on e-bay right now it looks nice from the pictures. (can't tell a lot from only the pic's but) there isn't a lot of info on that car there. It has the standard wheels that are chrome and the leather interior. I can also see the Vortech/Msd boost retard control on the fender and the FMU so the car does not have the 97' Saleen upgrade (emissions) that Saleen used to pay for.
I don't want to scare you, but if you are looking for a daily driver with a lot of outa the box H.P. buy a new Cobra or a Saleen /Cobra. I love my car, it's an animal with loads of torque and a blast to drive but driving an S-351 on a daily basis is like driving a live grenade with the pin already pulled. Some guys have had great luck, and put over 20k mile on theirs with zero problems. Most though have run into blown motors with low miles and no warning. The 95's as I have discovered first hand have totally stock 351 lightning bottom ends. The 96 and up cars were all a little different in the way the motors were built . Almost like snowflakes in the sense that almost every one has something a little different inside. (they were learning as they went) Over the years Saleen took a LOT of motor warranty hits on these cars and not just the 95's. A healthy R-Code will make 8-9 lbs. of boost out of the box. Back in the day they just did'nt have the fuel delivery like 42 and 55 lb. injectors and capacity fuel pumps like we have now. I had a lot of detonation at full boost on pump gas and always had to retard the timing boost. My car is getting a nice new bottom end a power pipe (14-15 lbs. boost) and some more goodies. It should make it a little more driveable and give me around 550 to the rear wheels.
Anyway, again not to scare you, it's a nice rare car and goes like a scortched dog but could get very expensive fast no matter how careful you are. If you want a used Saleen, you may also consider buying a nice 99-up car and go buy a kenne bell twin screw for it. You'll make plenty of power and less headaches.
Just a thought.

oh yea,
Most of the colors for the late 90's S-351's were black, red, white, a few blue, yellow (I like that color) Mark C. has a perfect one, and a very small handful came specially ordered with the BASF rainbow color shift $11,500 option paint. My friend Ronnie has a 99 S-351 R -code vert with the color shift paint and the car is beautiful!
Good luck.

Thanks for the info this has been really helpfull. The one on ebay now was the one I was referring too. Where there s-351's that where supercharged that where not R's? Where would be a good place to find s-351's preferably R's and verts? I have always loved teh S-351 and saw the one on ebay and thought it was a fairly low price. Sorry if Im not understanding but I just want to be clear on some basics. THe S-351's had the option of a roll cage, it came standard with the recarro and 13 inch brakes, and the double wing spoiler was not on all R's. Thanks for the info you guys have helped a lot. Is there any thing in the vin number that can tell you if its an R or not or even a real saleen?

You can call Liz @ Saleen at 1.800.888.8945 with the VIN/Saleen # and she can tell you how the car left the factory.

Call after noon PST.

There is always the chance that the person had a "standard" S351 (371hp), or "T-Code" (non-SC, but other options packaged together) and added the blower later to it.

Best to call Liz and find out what the car was from the factory.