Sagging Drivers Side Rear Suspension

Neogenesis

May 10, 2017
Hey all,

Just picked up a '87 Gt Convertible that the previous owner had put a set of lowering springs on, front and rear. They are SR Performance Progressive springs, 1.5" drop. The problem I'm seeing is that the left rear appears to be sitting around a inch lower that the right. Measuring from the group to the top of the fender opening. These were installed less that a year ago....so I don't think age would be the problem. Can spring go soft? Is it possible the shock could be causing this?

Any ideas are welcome......looking to get it sitting level again.

• Sponsors (?)

I cant recall if there are rubber cushions for the rear springs. if so one may be missing or bad.
It could be a bad control arm bushing.
Oh and make sure the springs are orientated properly.

Hey all,

Just picked up a '87 Gt Convertible that the previous owner had put a set of lowering springs on, front and rear. They are SR Performance Progressive springs, 1.5" drop. The problem I'm seeing is that the left rear appears to be sitting around a inch lower that the right. Measuring from the group to the top of the fender opening. These were installed less that a year ago....so I don't think age would be the problem. Can spring go soft? Is it possible the shock could be causing this?

Any ideas are welcome......looking to get it sitting level again.
Welcome to Stangnet. It wouldn't be a strut because the spring is what give you your ride height. You may have a broken spring or maybe one of your rear springs are turned with the coil tail pointing the wrong way (this does matter). You're just going to have to jack the car up and see what you see. If the problem is not obvious to you then take some pictures of the suspension on both sides and post the pictures here in your thread and we will try our best to help you out.

I had it up on jack stands yesterday, and it appears the cushions were all replaced when the springs were put in. I did not think to look at spring orientation. I will get it back on stands and look at bushings as well as the spring orientation.

Edit - If I remember correctly it the control arms also look as if they were replaced.

Thanks!!!

Reactions: 1 user