Roush Saleen Extreme

• Sponsors (?)

This one has been for sale, forever.

And saying the 03/04 cobra hurt the value of these cars is an understatement.

Mark from PA told me a while back, he could get a true 03/04 cobra saleen for around $40,000, now that would be much better money spent.

Guys,

I am from Missouri and going to look at this car on Monday with cash in hand.

Give me your honest opionion of the S281E. This is just going to be a second car daily driver for me and I want something fun.

What kind of performance can I expect from a car like this, 0-60 1/4 mile, handling. I would think it would handle better than a 03/04 Cobra and have similar acceleration right?

NADA says this car books hig retail around $44K and low retail around $37K. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I know nothing about Saleen's.

PS- can I change the pulley on the blower and get some more HP out of this thing?

You can probably get some more power out of it, but potential is nothing near an 03/04 cobra, you can do minor mods and get the cobra's to 550rwhp or so.

Mark at Performance autosport has a black 97 Saleen S351 for 33,000 with 15,000 miles on it. If i was in the market for a high end saleen, that would be it, or close to it.

Nada is rating saleens pretty high.If you watch what they actually sell for they are as much 10k off.If you are really set on a saleen and want it to have the balls that it should have.Get yourself a N/A used one forge the bottom end and slap a kb on it. I wish I had gone that route.I didn't realize that modding was going to be an addiction.:)

According to the sticker, it appears to already have forged pistons, rods and crank. I am a hot rodder and just sold the 66 Coupe in my avatar, it ran 11 second quarter through full exhaust naturally aspirated..... but no AC, stereo and it was somewhat "radical"

However, I am looking for a driver, that I will enjoy, I can modify to get a little more HP and that is reliable. Bottom line, am I getting hurt if I give 32K for this car. Can I put on a smaller pulley for more boost? Better air intake etc?

Tried to attach the sticker on the car but no luck. $61K new, wow, seems like a lot of jack for a Stang???? This thing should handle and drive well for a scost that cost that much.....

2000xp8 said:
You can probably get some more power out of it, but potential is nothing near an 03/04 cobra, you can do minor mods and get the cobra's to 550rwhp or so.

Mark at Performance autosport has a black 97 Saleen S351 for 33,000 with 15,000 miles on it. If i was in the market for a high end saleen, that would be it, or close to it.

I'd seriously consider the S351 mentioned above. They are more rare and have torque all day long! I think in the long run, you'll like it better. Then again, Marcus or Robert would be able to give you better advice about the S351's driveability. Marcus has gone on record saying that the S351's do not make a good "daily driver". I think, as a second car, the S351 is the one to have. Personal preference though...

washMO66 said:
Guys,

I am from Missouri and going to look at this car on Monday with cash in hand.

Give me your honest opionion of the S281E. This is just going to be a second car daily driver for me and I want something fun.

What kind of performance can I expect from a car like this, 0-60 1/4 mile, handling. I would think it would handle better than a 03/04 Cobra and have similar acceleration right?

NADA says this car books hig retail around $44K and low retail around $37K. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I know nothing about Saleen's.

PS- can I change the pulley on the blower and get some more HP out of this thing?

The "E" cars were low 12 sec 1/4 mile cars on street tires, and I recall one test with an 11.7 run on slicks in the stock config, all in the 120mph range.

The cars are a pulley swap and tune away from an easy 600hp, as this was the engine offering in the 2002+ SR cars (Saleen could not sell the SR with the 351ci motor after Dec. 31, 1999). The OE pulley is HUGE.

The Saleen would also have an edge in handling as well.

Thanks for all of the input fellas. This car sounds like just what I need to make the daily drive to work a little less boring.

If you hear from me next week it will be to get advice on changing that pulley and dialing her in for some more power.

Thanks again.

Todd

I could of sworn mark from PA told me that the E cars also had an undersized heat exchanger that needed to be swapped out before messing with the pulley.

2000xp8 said:
I could of sworn mark from PA told me that the E cars also had an undersized heat exchanger that needed to be swapped out before messing with the pulley.

They came with Whipple 2300AX twin-screw superchargers. Basically, 2.3L displacement.

A pulley and tune will open it up...but I'm pretty sure you'll need to upgrade the fuel pump and maybe even injectors. Call Joe at Chicane as I know he stocks them...or contact Reichard Racing. I'd go with the SCT Xcal2 hand-held tuner. As for fuel pump...SVT Focus pump or an 03/04 Cobra dual pump. You'll also probably have to upgrade the MAF to an LMAF or SCT Big Air.

Personally, I'd go with an older S351 or wait to find an 03/04 Saleen Cobra.

Well guys, thanks for all the input and I appreciate every opinion, even the ones that tell me to get an older S351.

But, I now have an 02 S281E lucky #13 sitting proudly in my garage. Just got back from a long drive from KY (just outside of Cincinnati, OH) and I had a great time. THe wife followed me in the Minivan, ocassionally yelled at me for "losing her" and my 3 year old twin boys love daddy's new "race car". The car is a kick to drive and with just under 5,000 miles it feels like new. It is Torch Red with Black wheels that look amazing, it has Bridgestone S03 SO6 or something like that tires with less than 1K miles? (sound right?) The original wheels and tires (Pirelli P - 0's). It has a KILLER Alpine tilt face with a sub, EQ, and AMP very tastefully installed, hornet alarm, installed radar detector.

I know you guys don't know me here in the Saleen area but the guys in Classics know me and my old coupe well. My last race with the coupe was WFC8 where I got into the Q final $$ (81 cars in my class). So I know NA cars and how to put together a classic with a carb and I am a life long hot rodder, I am 35, 4 kids, wife the whole nine yards.

Enough about me, I just want to let you Saleen guys know that I will be counting on you for good advice when I start playing with this car with all these neat electronic gizmos.

For starters, where do I go here in St. Louis to get some work done, tell me my first step, pully, injectors, fuel pump, computer tuning. You guys tell me.

I'll post pics as soon as my wife gives me a day to play and give her a bath and begin to really dig into it.

Thanks in advance for your responses. I'll be driving it to work tomorrow, it handles like a dream.........