Sanding and Priming

johnt785

Jan 22, 2004
Wichita, Kansas
In the next week or so I will be sanding off my Vibrant Red paintjob. I will be repainting my car a hotter red, possibly GM Torch Red. (5.0droptop convenced me). Can anyone give me tips in how to do body prep work to a 90 gt? Such as how to sand the paint off, what to use, what type of sandpaper, wet sanding? Also do you have to treat the body panels differently around the car? I have never done this before so any tips will be helpful. All i know is that if I can save money doing some of the bodywork myself, then I'll do it. Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

You dont have to strip the old paint off to repaint. You just need to sand the original paint to where it isn't shiny anymore with a DA sander (if available) with like 800 grit, or you can wet sand the whole car with 1000 untill the paint isnt shiny. The original paint will act as a primer and hold the new paint. For the door/trunk/hood jambs just get a Grey Scuff pad (3M makes them) and scruff the surface until no longer shiny.
Hope this helps,
Jesse

nope, just make the paint dull. The more you sand the better it will come out
especially if you wet sand the car, the more you do it the smoother it will be
make sure you get a soft sanding block to sand with, if you sand with your hand you will have greater pressure on your finger tips and will show in the upcoming paint.

If you do it yourself you may live to regret it.I have a bodyshop and this is NOT something I recommend for newbs. Save your money & leave it to the pros. I have done over many do-it- yourselfers hack jobs and it usually costs TWICE as much as if you were to pay a pro to do it right the first time. Thats just the facts, I can always tell a back yard or home garage paintjob, lots-a dirt & bugs throughout the finish :(