SD + Vortech...whats the verdict???

Jonsstang69

Founding Member
Jul 12, 2001
I am just looking to add some power to my 88 5.0 for weekends and the occasional trip to the track. Is it safe, or even possible to use a vortech S-trim, or other centrifigul with a speed density setup? The motor has low miles and I am just fixing some little maintence issues now to make sure its running in top form.

Are there any pros and cons to doing this? Vortech mentions nothing about it either way.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes it's safe and can be done rather easily. Vortech sells kits specifically for SD. You're going to be limited by the ability of the 19 lb injectors to provide a good Air/Fuel ratio (roughly 6-7 psi). With an S-Trim, you'll have room to grow for when you get to the point where can do a MAF conversion with larger injectors and a good tune.

Good Luck!

What could one expect to see power wise from an Strim kit and 6psi? At what psi would I be running dangerously with SD? Could I do other things like some headers and a cobra intake to squeeze a few more ponies down the line?

This is just a WAG (Wild ass guess) and I hate making these but I've seen comparitively configured combinations make roughly 260 RWHP on this kind of setup. That is about the limit with the 19 lb injectors in a forced inducted combo. Other factors are involved as well so once again, this is just a WAG.

Sure... a fuel system capable of delivering sufficient enough supply to support it. You can start with what is listed above. If once it is complete and you still want more, then you can begin looking into the mods necessary to do more. You also need to plan an Air/Fuel ratio meter into your budget along with a vac/boost gauge and fuel pressure gauge. If you are unsure as to why those items are important then you may need to get a much better understanding of what all is involved with boosting and tuning before you try and tackle a project like this. Your motor will thank you.

S-trim comes pullied for 8psi i'm fairly sure with the 3.33 pulley. I would think with the blower along with intake and exhaust and the right amount of fuel, you could deffinetly hit 300. But Andy makes a good point, you dont want to just throw all this stuff on and head to the track. Adding boost really requires a tune.

8 psi on 19s is shaky ground. You might get away with installing 24s with the SD EEC. Some do while others don't. All the more reason why the gauges and AFR meter are so important. If you isntall a kit and come back to ask what your fuel pressure should be for this combo, you will have to be shot. LOL

Well, it seems to me that there is no way around it. I know when I add the blower I will want room to grow, if I said I would slap it on and run with 6psi and be happy forever I would be lying. I dont have to do this all in one shot. I could start with some supporting mods and get it ready for the boost. I would rather wait on the blower and do it right the first time around so I dont have to worry.

Heres what I have right now:
Stock SD 5.0 with 92k on the clock and a fresh tune up, runs strong
King Cobra clutch
Flowmaster after cat exhaust
The rest is bone stock

What I am thinking I should do this year before I go for the blower:
Subframe connectors
Supporting fuel mods
MAF conversion
Cobra intake...maybe?
Shorty headers...maybe?

So heres my final questions:
1) What size injectors should I go with when I do the MAF conversion?
2) What other fuel mods should I look into?
3) Where can I get the MAF conversion kit?
4) What should I be looking to add to my suspension to get the car to hook up well on the street and at the track?

You can piece the conversion kit together yourself. Get a meter, a conversion harness, and an A9L computer. Get the meter that meets your down-the-road needs. It need not be calibrated for any specific size injector (that's a whole other thread). Get one that works with 19s. The MAF transfer function can be loaded into the tune when it comes time to do that. You need to figure out what yourr final HP expectation is in order to select the correct meter. A Mass Air systems 80mm might be an option for you. Their link can be found in my signature. I tend to lean more towards Lightning/03-04 Cobra meters or the SCT Big Mouth. They have great reolution down low and will be suitable for your stock powered N/A application and for a whole lot of blown power later. You'll have great fun getting all the parts together for plumbing going into the meter (I know I did). The Mass Air Systems stuff is a bit easier to find induction plumbing for on a Fox. Keep the 19s for now. Your final fuel injector size will also be determined by the amount of boost you plan to run and the final HP numbers you expect. I'd imagine that you'll likely end up with injectors of the 42 lb variety for any significant amount of boost over the top of a stock block.

Not sure I am resourceful enough to piece the MAF kit together.

My power goals are probably 300-350 and def no more than 400. However much boost required to reach that on an otherwise stock 5.0...I guess in the 10-14psi range.