Seafoam almost = ticket!

Darkwriter77

Resident Ranting Negative Nancy
5 Year Member
Jul 1, 2005
Apache Junction, AZ
Soooo, ~Frankenstang~ and I were indulging in our weekend 'Stangy fun today, and aside from a few other details such as stripping the funky purple tint from the windows of her Capri and whatnot, we decided to give both of her Foxes the ol' Seafoam douche. We've already given the Pervertible (her '86 GT 'vert) one dose of Seafoam, and GAWD I wish I'd had my camera handy for that one - I pity da fool that was following behind us during that first mile or so, it was like some kind of James Bond total smokescreen trick. Still, being that it's never had a proper cleaning out and there was still a lot of gunk left in there, we elected to give it a second go and let it soak while we fed the Capri a dose of the same auto liquor.

That all went well and good, so after blowing another load of poopie out the pipes of the 'vert, we took the Capri out to let it give its own exhibition of gaggingly white smokey joy. Although not nearly as impressive in its first WOT blast, the blowback we were getting while we'd been feeding it into the PCV valve while in the garage was almost enough to render us both unconscious, and the cloud was still considerable enough to bring smiles. Other drivers were looking at us with raised eyebrows, probably thinking we'd popped a head gasket or something. It was also, apparently, enough to draw the attention of Mr. Pinal County Sherriff's Deputy. :eek:

This cop was following us and initially looked like he was going to pass us. Then he slowed, following alongside for awhile. When he dropped back behind Frankie, I knew we were gonna be in for it. Fortunately, he'd missed the biggest portion of the smokescreen about three miles back, but there was still a fair amount of smoke steadily rolling from the tailpipes, and she didn't dare give it another WOT romp to clear its throat with the cop still behind her. Lights came on, and we pulled over on Old West Highway.

The guy was cool, surprisingly. His main gripes: a cracked windshield, no center rearview mirror (we fixed that issue an hour later), and of course, "You had an awful lot of white smoke coming out of your tailpipes, like something's wrong." And naturally, with the thing being registered as an '80 Mercury Capri but sporting the interior, front end, and rear bumper of a '90 Mustang Saleen clone, the cop was all about checking and double-checking the VIN numbers. He let us go with a warning, no biggie.

But it's a damn lucky thing he didn't see this about an hour beforehand... (And this was MILD compared to the first time we Seafoamed it.) :D

• Sponsors (?)

Good times. :nice:

BTW, ummmm, I can see SOOOO much better with all that crappy tint gone. Thank you.

......the rear view mirror is still hangin' in there too. I've never been able to keep one on this damn car's windshield. LOL

Sucked up most of it through the PCV valve. Put half a can through the '86 GT 'vert through the PCV valve and the other half in the gas tank, since the leftover ancient gas in there was terrible and it was a second Seafoam douche for that car. The Capri got a full can, and so did the TurdBird, right through the PCV.

Sucked up most of it through the PCV valve. Put half a can through the '86 GT 'vert through the PCV valve and the other half in the gas tank, since the leftover ancient gas in there was terrible and it was a second Seafoam douche for that car. The Capri got a full can, and so did the TurdBird, right through the PCV.

Ok, pcv, not egr. lmao I'm not retarded tho. :lol:

Results will vary on a few things: 1. How long you let it sit before you crank it up again (too long or too short a waiting time doesn't yield much), 2. How much you put in at one time, 3. How FAST you pour it in before you reach your limit and shut it off, and 4. How badly gunked-up your car is.

I try to feed it in there at a rate that's just enough to bog the motor down without stalling it out. It'll run really rough, like it's missing on a cylinder or two, but just keep it up 'till you reach your limit. If you've never ever done it before, I'd say you could probably just use a whole can and be fine. If you're just giving the motor a refresher, probably just 1/2 can through the PCV and the other 1/2 in the gas tank.

The stuff works on fuel injected or carb'ed motors the same. I'd heard/read that old-timer hot-rodders used to use plain ol' water to achieve the same result, although I don't think they'd let the motor sit with it in there to soak into the carbon deposits (which is where Seafoam's a bit better, plus it's not water-based). GM sells something called a top-end cleaner that's basically the same exact stuff as Seafoam, but usually costs a lot more.

It's not miracle juice or anything. It's just a handy detergent, and it helps douche stuff pretty well. You'd still need to tear the motor apart and all if you wanted to get at the really hardcore stuff, of course - it's not THAT good.

They really should market this stuff as a mosquito repellant in the Midwest and Deep South, though... :D