Seat Track TSB

robbz28

Sep 23, 2009
Epps, LA
Any of you guys familiar with an old Ford TSB about how to make more leg room in an old mustang? I have found some OLD threads on it on different forums, but the links are dead. I am 6'1 and would love an extra 2-3 inches (wouldnt we all-rolls eyes). I have also read about guys building seat track extenders, etc...any help is much appreciated, thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Unaware of the TBS but can tell you what I did.

First I lowered the seat pan 1" but it wasn't enough for my now 6'2" frame--especially with my incurable clutch pedal fetish. What worked for me was to modify my seat tracks for more travel to the rear. I ended up moving my seat back 2", but made provisions for 3" (which I didn't need.) I wrote the following tech article that shows how I did it:

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/interior-articles/478298-relocating-your-seat-tracks.html

Additionally I swapped out the pony door handles for standard handles (also requires the standard mechanism installed in the door.) These mods were enough to allow me to use the stock steering column with the 15 1/2" factory wooden steering wheel AND yet still be a mad man at the dragstrip.

I think I can handle that...I just replaced my floorpans and seat mounts, i wish I would have thought about shortening it then....but I think just the fact of the seat going back farther 2 inches will vastly improve things, I also installed my headliner bows in the top holes when I redid my headliner, so that gave me another 1/4" or so headroom.

I think I can handle that...I just replaced my floorpans and seat mounts, i wish I would have thought about shortening it then....but I think just the fact of the seat going back farther 2 inches will vastly improve things, I also installed my headliner bows in the top holes when I redid my headliner, so that gave me another 1/4" or so headroom.

Good idea about the headliner-never thought of that.

I agree that moving the seat back will give you the best bang for the buck. I wish I had tried that first. Cutting the pans makes you sit real low and almost flat like sitting on the ground.

I also had redid the floors/seatpans and then decided to chop them. I simply split them mid way between the floor and the top (front and rear) and loosened up the welds I had against the rocker and the tranny hump. Then I took the top and straddled the remaining uprights which gave about an 1 1/4" drop when done. I bent a lip on the rear similar to the original-its been too long to remember for sure but you get the idea. It was a 1 day project.

In the end, cutting the seat pans was a blessing because it allowed me to wear a helmet when racing and still have clearance with the headliner.