Secret Incantations for GT front brakes ?

Unbolt the MC from the booster and see if that frees them up. If it does, the brake booster rod is adjusted out too far and causing the brakes to drag. Turn it i n slightly

• Sponsors (?)

Well I bit the bullet and got two re manufactured units put them on and wow what a difference. It went from being hard to turn the wheels with two hands to being able to spin the wheel one full revolution with a pinkie finger. If I push it with my foot it went 6.5 revs with out stopping. I was driving around with my brakes on for a long time. :nonono: I wish I had done this years ago.

Key words for searchers; brake problems, calipers sticks, brakes won't release, brakes on all the time, my car sucks :rlaugh:, 5 lug conversion. If you can think of anymore please add them so someone won't have to deal with this in the future.:flag:

Brake Cylinder

I doubt the brake pistons are not steel as im sure the engineers at ford would use nothing less on a part under this kind of stress. Polymers under such load suffer from creep and stress relaxation which = failure. Although it is highly likely that the piston has a polymer coating to prevent metal on metal binding....thats just my two cents from a polymer engineer

The ones i looked at used a phenolic piston.

Seems a common prob for the 99-04 calipers to stick. I've seen it a lot on the boards. None of the other Mustang calipers are so prone to it.

I doubt the brake pistons are not steel as im sure the engineers at ford would use nothing less on a part under this kind of stress. Polymers under such load suffer from creep and stress relaxation which = failure. Although it is highly likely that the piston has a polymer coating to prevent metal on metal binding....thats just my two cents from a polymer engineer

youve been misinformed. Ford tends to use phenolic caliper pistons on the higher performance applications. for the p71's the police interceptors use phenolic vs steel for civilian models.

youve been misinformed. Ford tends to use phenolic caliper pistons on the higher performance applications. for the p71's the police interceptors use phenolic vs steel for civilian models.

Only because the Phenolic pistons transfer less heat to the fluid keeping it cooler and allowing less fade over repeated use. Good if you are driving a cop car hard which sees regular maintainence. In terms of durability though, he's right. Phenolic pistons tend to suffer more from sticking in the bore than their steel counterparts.

I'm pretty sure that the 99-04 GT's come with a phenolic piston. I'm going off memory from when i had a few sets before selling them all. One of the downsides is they are more prone to seizing...which is commonly seen. The other SN95 calipers use steel pistons.

Unsure if there is a steel version of the GT PBR out there, but that would be the way to go if you stick with the 10.8" brakes.

Only because the Phenolic pistons transfer less heat to the fluid keeping it cooler and allowing less fade over repeated use. Good if you are driving a cop car hard which sees regular maintainence. In terms of durability though, he's right. Phenolic pistons tend to suffer more from sticking in the bore than their steel counterparts.

I'm pretty sure that the 99-04 GT's come with a phenolic piston. I'm going off memory from when i had a few sets before selling them all. One of the downsides is they are more prone to seizing...which is commonly seen. The other SN95 calipers use steel pistons.

Unsure if there is a steel version of the GT PBR out there, but that would be the way to go if you stick with the 10.8" brakes.

I had a feeling I picked the wrong ones. I got the Phenolic ones cuz I wanted to save a buck and thought they would transfer less heat. How long you figure I can get out of them before doing it again?:shrug:

I had a feeling I picked the wrong ones. I got the Phenolic ones cuz I wanted to save a buck and thought they would transfer less heat. How long you figure I can get out of them before doing it again?:shrug:

The phenolics do transfer less heat.

I wouldn't sweat it. Plenty of '99's still driving on oriignal calipers out there