Setting pinion depth using gear marking compund

Cman88

May 11, 2006
I swapped out my 2.73's for some stock 3.27's. I used the same shim on the pinion bearing as I removed and installed a new crush ring. Pinion preload set to 15 inch lbs as spec calls for. Installed another used 8.8 traction lock since I got it really cheap and the clutch packs were in much better shape then mine. I used the bearings from this diff also as they were in excellent shape. Anyways, backlash set to .008" as per spec, everything is torqued down. I have heard that when using Ford gears, 9 times out of 10, the stock shim will work correctly and pinion depth will be in spec. I would rather check it so I smeared some white gear marking compound on the teeth and rotated it around a couple times. Problem is, the results I got look nothing like the ones I see pictured on various websites. Perhaps I smeared too much? Didn't smear it correctly? Whats the procedure here? Coat the teeth? Blob it on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want to make sure these gears are setup correctly and aren't going to give me any trouble.

• Sponsors (?)

BadAndy said:

What?

Anyways, pattern seemed good so I buttoned it up and filled it up. Mostly royal purple, but being 4am, I had to also use some 80w-90 limited slip gear oil I had in the shop to top off with. Anyways, made a very noticeable improvment over the 2.73's. Nice and quiet. Diff isn't getting hot either. Must have been right :) I would highly reccomend this swap to anyone with 2.73's. Paid $60 for the gears shipped and $20 to have the oil pinion bearing pressed onto the new pinion. Other then that, a little time consuming taking all the measurements but not "hard" by any means.

Cman88 said:
What?

Anyways, pattern seemed good so I buttoned it up and filled it up. Mostly royal purple, but being 4am, I had to also use some 80w-90 limited slip gear oil I had in the shop to top off with. Anyways, made a very noticeable improvment over the 2.73's. Nice and quiet. Diff isn't getting hot either. Must have been right :) I would highly reccomend this swap to anyone with 2.73's. Paid $60 for the gears shipped and $20 to have the oil pinion bearing pressed onto the new pinion. Other then that, a little time consuming taking all the measurements but not "hard" by any means.

Cmann , I'm inspired by your post.....I think I will attempt my gear install myself . What did you use for a referance? Where did you go to get your pinion bearing pressed on?

SPEEDYLIFSAVR said:
Cmann , I'm inspired by your post.....I think I will attempt my gear install myself . What did you use for a referance? Where did you go to get your pinion bearing pressed on?

I just used various information on this site as well as Alldata. I should point out I used to be a mechanic, so I do have some mechanical background. Its not hard however and I am sure with some patience you can figure it out. Just slow down, take your time.

The bearing was pressed on by a local machine shop. Its also been pointed out that some heat should free the bearing as well... I just didn't want to take that route, so I had it pressed.