SFI balancer OR OEM replacement?

Ok so i was thinking today if there was anything else i needed to go with my head swap. Then i realized if I'm changing the timing chain I'll have to pull off the balancer anyway so why not put on a new one while i'm at it.

Looked at some prices and an SFI approved balancer from FRPP is $300 but an OEM replacement is only $70.

I'm not planning on spinning the motor over 5800-6000 with the stock shortblock still under it, so would i need to break my whole budget for an sfi balancer or not?

I know i could probably find an SFI one cheaper online, but the ease of having FRPP 15 minutes from me just seems like a no brainer.

:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

While it's purely an opinion thing, I guess I'm a little more cautious - with HCI and nitrous spinnin at 6K, I'd probably opt for an SFI unit for less than 100 extra bucks. I've got a Pioneer SFI unit - nice lookin piece IMHO.

Good luck with the whichever route you go.

GSP393 said:
5,800-6k is plenty more than the stock redline so I'd get sfi for sure. I know they're not cheap, I had to get an sfi balancer and flywheel for my stroker.
But 6000 is below the stock rev limiter, so by that, you could assume that a "stock" replacement should handle 6000 easily or Ford would have used something better or everyone of us would be having trouble all the time with the stockers.

Why's this SFI certification even an issue? He's already said he's not going to be spinning it above 6000 RPM. A stock one would work, sure, but for the money and the convenience of better timing marks and better materials, he'd be better off with something like a Professional Products balancer.

As far as elastomer ... ummm ... I dunno. I never took a saw to mine to see what's inside - maybe plutonium or liquid kryptonite, for all I know. All I know is it's solid iron on the outside, because there's no seams that I can really see and a magnet sticks to it (which annoyed the crap out of me one time when I was trying to fetch something with my trusty lil' telescoping magnetic "dang it, I dropped it again" tool. :D

I'm sure anything's possible, but I've never once heard of one like mine falling apart on a mostly stock motor.

i have the fluidamper sfi balancer. replaced it when i did my h/c/i. the old one was worn out. did i really need an sfi? probably not. but man do i sleep well at night knowing its on there. the engine runs real smooth as well. the timing marks are also extremely legible. this makes timing changes much easier.

Well thanks for all the comments guys. I went ahead and got an oem replacement from FRPP today for $48 no tax :)

I figured if i spin it then i will know i need sfi, If it lasts for the next couple months i'm going to pick up one of these from fordstrokers and put it on
http://fordstrokers.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=76

Since i have an extra block now i'm going to build a 331 / 347 and the new sfi balancer will be able to be reused on it with just a new counter weight. But for now i think 5500-5800 will probably be all i try to spin my 302, the E cam and cobra intake probably won't make much power above that anyway.