SFI Balancers

arbailey

Founding Member
Sep 24, 2002
New Jersey
I am looking into replacing my stock 140K mile harmonic balancer and was wondering about SFI rated balancers. If I have no plans of revving the motor past 6000 rpms, would I even benefit from an SFI approved balancer? I've read a few posts stating SFI balancers work best above 6500 rpms. Also, I noticed a lot of people recommend Powerbond units but when they receive them they say Pioneer on them. I found a non SFI Pioneer balancer at Advanced Auto for $59.98 (part # DA3021), is that the same as a non SFI Powerbond unit? Anybody have one? I want to get one with the elastomer bonded to the metal unlike the stock one, but like everyone else I don't want to waste money.

• Sponsors (?)

Depending on what kind of 1/4 mile time's your running some sanctioned racing division's will require you to run an SFI approved balancer. The whole point of an SFI balancer is they are designed not to explode into a million pieces....the same goes for SFI approved bellhousing's, flywheels, etc. etc. When ever your buying something that is SFI approved your buying a product that is saftey approved for the track.
If your running a mild 302 or higher then 11's in the 1/4 mile I woudn't worry too much about spending alot of money on an SFI balancer. The best non SFI balancer out there that is fairly decently priced are a Streetdampr (Similar to a Fluidampr exept non SFI). Check them out. Running a Streetdampr will require the use of a Crank pulley spacer as well. Stay away from cheapo brand's like CAT, Pro Form etc. etc. As far as I know the Powerbond balancer's arent too bad as well as Pioneer balancers.

Shon

What are you talking About?..... Fluidampr's and Streetdampr's are fine for both the street and strip....Myself personally and many other's I know have been running them for years. It's the cheapo brand's you want to stay away from.....stick with the phrase you pay for what you get.
You say not to run fluidampr but run a powerbond instead???....Make's alot of sense. Go from quality & performance to cheap crap.

Currently the best SFI approved balancer on the market is ATI...... It dosn't come cheap though.

Shon

the reason most people shy away from Fluidamprs is because most crank manufacturers suggest NOT getting a damper with ANY moving parts. the fluid (or other moving part) gets slung to the outer edges of the damper as the engine accelerates and adds extra stress to the crank.

When i called SCAT, they said DO NOT use one.

to answer your question, Michael Yount runs the Pioneer you asked about. i would too when i need one again.

:shrug:
Scat probably say's bull like that cause they have there own brand of balancer's and they want you to buy there's. I like Scat product's by all means and am currently using there stuff in my 408 but I have to say there tech service sucks. When I called Scat I wasn't too impressed at all with the knowledge of there customer service. Not only that but Fluidampr dosn't use moving PARTS. It contains a special type of viscous silicone/liquid fluid. You may be correct Timmy but I have never heard any engine builder or Crank manufacturer say not too use Fluidampr/streetdampr. I know tone's of top end engine builder's that have no problem's with using Fluidampr.

Shon

Hardcore????? :shrug: :nonono:
You really know what your talking about.... Just because a couple of company's don't like to use a certain product dosn't mean there crap. Usually all it take's is one faulty product for some people and all of a sudden it become's crap and they will never use it again. Also Alot of company's like CHP get special discount's from manufacture's if they push there product. I know CHP really pushes Probe stuff....Wonder Why??? It's all about buisness and money.
Everyone has there own preference and opinions...all I'm trying to say is there isn't a balancer out there that is perfect, they all have there own little disadvantages but I know that Fluidampr's are a great balancer that perform great and last long.

Shon

what Timmy said is concurrent with what ive read (i do that a bit). they work well on high HP track cars (with very fast rpm build), but can leave something to be desired on street driven cars.

that said, to each his own - probably not a 'right' decision. i read a ton of balancer threads in a couple sites before getting mine and opinions differed widely.

408stroker5.0 said:
I know CHP really pushes Probe stuff....Wonder Why??? It's all about business and money.

Shon

Mark O'neal pushes Probe stuff for one reason, He manufactures the stuff ...............

I never once said they were crap. If you are happy with it, then fine. Hes better off hearing both sides of the issue before he buys soemthing. I personally dont want something with loose parts on the end of my crank.

HISSIN you are correct. I have seen test's were balancer's such as the TCI Rattler, ATI, Fluidampr etc. etc. perform there best at high RPM's, and are really not nessasary on a street car. However Fluidampr's Non SFI aproved Streetdampr (Which Is The Balancer I'm Pushing) balancer has proven itself on the street and in test's many times.

Shon

408stroker5.0 said:
The best non SFI balancer out there that is fairly decently priced are a Streetdampr (Similar to a Fluidampr exept non SFI).
Shon

When you wrote that i assumed they were the same design....

So bascially a whole debate over nuthin? :shrug:

geez, i shoulda just went to bed

408stroker5.0 said:
HISSIN you are correct. I have seen test's were balancer's such as the TCI Rattler, ATI, Fluidampr etc. etc. perform there best at high RPM's, and are really not nessasary on a street car. However Fluidampr's Non SFI aproved Streetdampr (Which Is The Balancer I'm Pushing) balancer has proven itself on the street and in test's many times.

Shon
Shon, that works for me. :)

after a lot of reading, i decided that the possible disadvantages of a fluid-style damper outweighed any possible advantage for MY needs. i seldom rev over 3K, so i disregarded info that did not pertain to me and what i was after (though some of it got stuck in my head. LOL).

as i think we have all said, it comes down to personal choice - we all have different set ups, driving habits and needs, etc. i have not read much (if anything) about non-SFI fluid dampers; i am not sure how their characteristics are different than an SFI unit - so what you said sounds fine to me. how are they different? now you got me curious. :)

That's Funny all this arguing for Nothing... Yes The Fluiddampr and Streetdampr are two different balancer's. (Same Company Though) The Fluidampr is best used in racing, and is a two piece balancer. The Streetdampr is Non SFI approved balancer and is a one piece balancer and was designed for the street/strip. Both balancers use the same fluid inside.
Sorry Timmy if you were taking my comment's the wrong way....peace.
www.Fluidampr.com

Shon

HISSIN50 said:
Shon, that works for me. :)

after a lot of reading, i decided that the possible disadvantages of a fluid-style damper outweighed any possible advantage for MY needs. i seldom rev over 3K, so i disregarded info that did not pertain to me and what i was after (though some of it got stuck in my head. LOL).

as i think we have all said, it comes down to personal choice - we all have different set ups, driving habits and needs, etc. i have not read much (if anything) about non-SFI fluid dampers; i am not sure how their characteristics are different than an SFI unit - so what you said sounds fine to me. how are they different? now you got me curious. :)

:nice: :)
Sound's good to me as well Hissin.....we all have our own preference. I kind of mentioned it near the top of this thread on the difference between SFI approved and non SFI. Check It Out. If your really curious on the design difference check out www.Fluidampr.com