Shifters...Tri-Ax or Other?

Fubar02GT

Jul 30, 2005
Bradford
Well, I was browsing classifieds and the almighty ebay & such and found a few shifters to fit the car. my question is which one is the best? it seems like 99% of people have the tri-ax. this tells me something right there...but then again i am seeing more pro 5.0 and upr? shifters...is there any clear cut choice for a daily driver vs a more track oriented car or will anything be better than the stock piece?

• Sponsors (?)

good question... I have only had the Tri-Ax for a day now and love it... but I have also driven a car with a pro 5.0 and they are just as good... I dont think there is a wrong choice when it comes to after market shifters... anything is better then stock!!! (except I have never seen anyone with a MAC shifter? :shrug: they only cost $130) IMO your going to be happy with any shifter you buy :nice:

I have the MGW and I love it. I've never driven a car with a tri-ax or pro 5.0, but I hear they are great also. Unfortunately from what I'm hearing, you can no longer buy the blue handle like I have. MGW did away with the blue and red handles and now they only offer their new orange handle, which I guess is somewhere in between.

I've got the Tri-Ax and no complaints from me. I've driven in a car with the MGW with the blue handle and man that thing is tiny, by far the shortest shift out of all the shifters. Only thing I have heard anything bad about is the hurst shifter. I would say go with Tri-Ax, 5.0, or MGW any of those and you will be happy.

Skidzz said:
I have the MGW and I love it. I've never driven a car with a tri-ax or pro 5.0, but I hear they are great also. Unfortunately from what I'm hearing, you can no longer buy the blue handle like I have. MGW did away with the blue and red handles and now they only offer their new orange handle, which I guess is somewhere in between.

:stupid: ive got the new orange handle, and i love it. i cant say "dont get tri-ax, or pro5.0, or upr" cuz i haven't tried them yet. im sure they are all better than stock. MGW has great customer service and fast shipping also.

heres a link with install pics and initial review of the MGW orange handle shifter. theres also a link at the bottom of the thread with a pic comparing the blue and orange handle.

MGW Orange Handle Install Thred

whatever you decide, i hope you enjoy it

i have had the tri-ax and the 5.0 :bang: but when i got the MGW orange handle :nice: i am more than thrilled since i have tried them my personal preference is MGW but this is just personal preference and anything is better than stock :shrug:

I've had experience with both a tri-ax and pro 5.0. My friend has a Tri-ax and it shifts smoother and is better than stock but really isn't a whole lot shorter of a throw. Pro 5.0 and MGWs have close to the same throw distance with the shorter one going to the MGW. MGW is a lot smoother than the Pro 5.0 though. I've had both of those in my car and I wouldn't ever go back with the Pro 5.0 ever since i've had the MGW. So, you best bet is to go with MGW..... thats my opinion.....

How much work goes into changing ashifter? I bought a Tri-Ax for my 02, but it's just sitting in its box until I figure out what kind of work I'm looking into doing...

Has anyone out here done it themselves and toss out some Gotchas that go along with the shifter change?

Installing a shifter isn't hard at all. Pop off the bezel and leather (will necessitate removing shift knob), yank the stock shifter, clean off the old sealant being VERY careful not to drop any into tranny, put sealant on the tranny and install shifter.

Yeah I oversimplified just a little but u get the point. :nice: