Short block, long block, or crate engine?

CWCobra

Founding Member
Mar 21, 2000
I inheirited a '95 Cobra. Has well over 100,000 miles on stock block, and only 2,000 miles on AFR 185 heads. BBK long tubes, FMS E cam. Stock intake. Runs like crap...don't know why.

I am thinking of just starting fresh by buying a forged shortblock, and using the AFR heads, long tubes, and stock intake. Or may just buy a long block, or even just a complete crate engine.

Short block appears to be waaay cheaper, but I wonder, in the long run, which would be better. I have medium tech skills, good tools, and decent garage (no lift). I want a stout week end car, to be occaisionally driven to work. I may eventually supercharge it, hence the need for forged.

Any advice appreciated. Any recommendation for a short block?

Thanks,
CW

• Sponsors (?)

CWCobra said:
I inheirited a '95 Cobra. Has well over 100,000 miles on stock block, and only 2,000 miles on AFR 185 heads. BBK long tubes, FMS E cam. Stock intake. Runs like crap...don't know why.

I am thinking of just starting fresh by buying a forged shortblock, and using the AFR heads, long tubes, and stock intake. Or may just buy a long block, or even just a complete crate engine.

Short block appears to be waaay cheaper, but I wonder, in the long run, which would be better. I have medium tech skills, good tools, and decent garage (no lift). I want a stout week end car, to be occaisionally driven to work. I may eventually supercharge it, hence the need for forged.

Any advice appreciated. Any recommendation for a short block?

Thanks,
CW
You have a good set of heads on that car. So i would work with that. The previous owner probably thought bigger was better when he slapped on those heads, and that is why it is probably running like crap. Do you know if there is a cam in there? If you are looking into S/C'ing the car, I would look at a forged 306 rotating assembly, or even rebuilding your shortblock, boring it .030 over just to clean it up, get your stock crank and stock rods turned, and then getting a set of forged dished pistons so you can run a healthy cam. Reason i am saying 306, is if you stroke the motor, and add a blower, you are taking the stock block closer to the splitting point. you will save a lot doing this, a lot of companies who sale shortblocks, still use the production 302 shortblock, so it really isn't an stronger than what you already have.

yellow1995Cobra said:
can u get the 185's on a stock shortblock without notching pistons?
yes but with a very tiny cam, that is where I think his problem is, the previous owner probably kept the stock cam in there.

It has an FMS "E303" cam, or so I am told. Pistons may not have been notched, thus I suspect bent valves or such, as accounting for running like crap. When I say runs like crap, what I mean is that it won't leave the garage with me behind the wheel...it's that bad. Idle surges from stall to 2,000 rpms, then backfires, then stall, then 2,000 rpm, then backfire etc etc.

If indeed there is a bent valve, etc, there may be expensive head work needed before I can even salvage the heads. That's what pushes me in the direction of a crate motor.

Another problem is that we now have to pass emissions here. I cannot find a crate engine with decent performance that does not have the "for off-road use only" disclaimer on it.

Heck with it. Way I feel right now, I may just donate it to local charity and call it done.

Anybody want a '95 Cobra for cheap?

CW

CWCobra said:
It has an FMS "E303" cam, or so I am told. Pistons may not have been notched, thus I suspect bent valves or such, as accounting for running like crap. When I say runs like crap, what I mean is that it won't leave the garage with me behind the wheel...it's that bad. Idle surges from stall to 2,000 rpms, then backfires, then stall, then 2,000 rpm, then backfire etc etc.

If indeed there is a bent valve, etc, there may be expensive head work needed before I can even salvage the heads. That's what pushes me in the direction of a crate motor.

Another problem is that we now have to pass emissions here. I cannot find a crate engine with decent performance that does not have the "for off-road use only" disclaimer on it.

Heck with it. Way I feel right now, I may just donate it to local charity and call it done.

Anybody want a '95 Cobra for cheap?

CW

Yea whats "cheap" . Ill buy it

I'm wondering what kind of tune does she have? If someone modified the engine and didn't tune the computer then I could make it run like that. When I had my TW heads and street heat intake installed she would surge like hell. That is with a stock cam.

On the other hand if it doesn't have notched pistons I don't know how it even runs.