Should I Worry About Coil Springs?

dm5206

Mar 10, 2017
I just recently purchased a 2004 V-6 Mustang. Its my first car and my dad and I are doing some of the issues that have been neglected on the car. My current problem is that we want to change the lower front control arms because the ball joints are shot and the bushings are dry rotted. I have read the good write ups that you guys have given on replacing the LCA, however my question is that since the coil spring sits on the LCA if we try to remove the LCA wont the coil spring jump out and maybe crack somebodys skull? Can you guys tell me the proper way to handle this? Your help is greatly appreciated!!

• Sponsors (?)

Put the car on jack stands. Put your jack beneath the rear pumpkin and compress the springs.

Now take the lower control arm bolts loose...

See where I'm going with this?

Aligning it all to go back together can sometimes require persuasion. :O_o:

Noobz I think he's referring to the Front lower control arm. He mentions ball joints etc.

Easiest way for just spring removal is to put a jack under the ball joint area, remove outer tie rod from control arm to get full range of motion (you'll thank me if it has stock springs), loosen the strut lower bolts, lower jack slowly and remove spring. If its a stock spring there will be a tad bit of tension on it still but not enough to shoot out. You may have to pry on it a bit and it'll pop and bang once it comes out, just don't have your face or hand under it and it'll be safe.

For the rear. Jack up, support car with jack stands by the torque boxes, Put a jack under the pumpkin, loosen the shock lower bolts and pull shock away from hosing. lower rear end all the way. Go to one side and remove spring (You may have to slightly jack up the other side to offset and allow enough room for stock springs). Repeat for the other side.

When installing rear spring the flat curl of the spring faces the driver wheel for both sides. The front springs have two holes in the lower control arms that they sit in between. Make sure both sides are clocked evenly.

That should get your springs out.

If you're replacing ball joints its best to use the spring pressure to help loosen. Jack car up, support with jack stands (Not on control arms). Loosen but don't remove the ball joint nut. Loosen and remove tie rod ends from control arm as well. use a pickle fork to loose knuckle/spindle from ball joint. Place jack underneath ball joint and either loosen strut lower bolts (easier now than later) or remove castle nut from ball joint and disassemble.

I typed this quick and hope I didn't miss a step. I've done it so many times I don't even think about it anymore. You may or may not have to remove the brakes and hang the caliper out of the way depending on how far you're going.

Reactions: 1 user