Progress Thread Snow - 93 GT Vert. My first Ford, Mustang, convertible, ...

Uh - was that bolt long enough?
IMG_3691.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

Funny story. So when a boot shears but isn’t rusted, it may be super easy to get out. So easy that when you start drilling it, it literally starts turning. Catch it quick though, it will start tightening!

IMG_3690.jpeg
thats why you use reverse drill bits.....

Reactions: 1 user
So easy that when you start drilling it, it literally starts turning. Catch it quick though, it will start tightening!
Like Limp said, a left-hand drill bit would solve that issue.

Uh - was that bolt long enough?
Was that the factory length bolt(s) for that location(s)?

1-1/2 times the nominal bolt diameter is the rule of thumb I've always used for enough (aka minimum) thread engagement in cast iron.

As evidenced by the the bolt shearing off, and not pulling the threads out of the block, there was enough thread engagement there, imo.

So where do I by these grade 1 awesome fantastical special steel screws?
You want grade 8 (there is no grade 1, btw) bolts of the same size as your broken ones. If the tapped holes in the block are deep enough, you could go with a slightly longer bolt, but as long as you have the minimum needed thread engagement, there won't be much gained.

Ace Hardware has a pretty good selection of fasteners, if you're looking for a local place. And they can easily be ordered online, but usually you have to buy a quantity greater (sometimes much) than the 1 or 2 needed.

Reconnected everything.

Put blue thread lock on the generator/alternator bracket bolts. Also tightened to 21lbs

Putting radiator fluid in and will bleed the system.

Started right up. Smoke from my guess if PS fluid on the exhaust headers.

Other than that sounded great. It’s a little late so I didn’t want to leave it running to bleed the system. Will do that tomorrow.

Anything I’m missing?
IMG_3708.jpeg
IMG_3709.jpeg
IMG_3710.jpeg

Reconnected everything.

Put blue thread lock on the generator/alternator bracket bolts. Also tightened to 21lbs

Putting radiator fluid in and will bleed the system.

Started right up. Smoke from my guess if PS fluid on the exhaust headers.

Other than that sounded great. It’s a little late so I didn’t want to leave it running to bleed the system. Will do that tomorrow.

Anything I’m missing?
IMG_3708.jpeg
IMG_3709.jpeg
IMG_3710.jpeg
Glad to see it back together!

I’m not sure if it was answered, but yes, turning the wheels with the motor off can build up pressure in the pump and cause leaks out the cap. At least that was my experience when I made the same mistake. I Got it cleaned up, and all has been fine since, with no ill effects!